Vidme goes bye-bye...

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I also received the e-mail this morning. What can I say, it's the proof Google will always have the de facto monopoly of video sharing.

FinTheHobbit

Enjoying my marvelous misadventure :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Fair enough, but they did say "We're building something new" in their article so hopefully it'll be a bigger and better..

Reactions: chottom and markkaz

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
The problem is that only video makers were on Vidme and very few watchers. You could argue that’s how Youtube was in its first year but there wasn’t monetizing system in place like now. we all know this Youtube exodus/Vidme surge was for low view channels to get a leg up and make money. Without an audience much larger than the group of creators it’ll never work

Reactions: chottom and markkaz

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Goes to show the type of power YouTube (Google) has in the video realm. It's insane how they're dumping resources and operate at a loss continuously just for the sake of dominating the sector. If you truly want to pursue a career involving YouTube, you best have a strategy to financially capitalize on platforms outside of YouTube, including FB, IG, Twitter, etc, or the very least, capitalize on other financial opportunities like merch, brand deals, and sponsorships. Don't rely on YouTube to always have your back as long as they're in firm control.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The problem was also with the advertisers. They had the same kind of 'family friendly/advertiser friendly' problems that Youtube is currently facing. Even though Vidme seemed like a good idea, eventually they also would have been facing copyright takedowns. I wish some of these guys would learn what fair use is.

Reactions: markkaz

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
The problem was also with the advertisers. They had the same kind of 'family friendly/advertiser friendly' problems that Youtube is currently facing. Even though Vidme seemed like a good idea, eventually they also would have been facing copyright takedowns. I wish some of these guys would learn what fair use is.
The root of the problem is with the advertisers.
If creators want to monetise their videos then they rely upon either advertisers or pay-to-view content. I see no other way for now.
Any platform that offers to host videos and pay the creators too needs to keep the advertisers happy. That is why YouTube is taking such extreme measures to show advertisers how seriously they take their concerns. They cannot afford to alienate the very people who pay them.
It's sad that Vidme has collapsed, and I agree that competition to YouTube is a good thing, but I think that believing that other platforms will not have exactly the same problems is rather naive. No platform exists to my knowledge that can afford to ignore advertisers demands, and at least YouTube has the financial muscle to weather the storm.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Honestly, it wasn't a surprise. It was a bit surprising how quickly they went down, but I'm guessing they had a lot of lofty plans that didn't really extend toward, "How to make money." They were very good in positioning the platform as "Not YouTube," but to advertisers, what does that mean? Especially when the top-rated content on the platform was often stuff that wouldn't appeal to advertisers.

As to being a creator on Vidme, they treated my channel very well (I was featured early after joining, and won a contest they ran), but when their monetization plan was basically, "Ask us how much you earned via email to the owner, and we'll pay you by PayPal when you ask us, maybe."

Overall, I think Vidme really showed how difficult running a platform for streaming videos can be. It's super-expensive, requires a ton of overhead and maintenance, and it doesn't really lend itself to making money.

ShyJosh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I had nice idea if I got famous, I would put some exclusive videos on sites like vidme, vimeo and dailymotion. But since they are getting shut down ... I really don't understand why big youtubers like Pewds and others don't do that in order to save some platform.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had nice idea if I got famous, I would put some exclusive videos on sites like vidme, vimeo and dailymotion. But since they are getting shut down ... I really don't understand why big youtubers like Pewds and others don't do that in order to save some platform.
If you read the article, the problem is that they are having a problem getting advertisers to spend money on the platform. Here's what I am referencing:

Monetizing user-generated content is increasingly challenging
  • Advertisers want to target specific audiences, which means a new platform that doesn’t store troves of personal user data is at a severe disadvantage relative to Facebook and Google, which combined control 60% of online ad spending in the U.S.
  • Most advertisers want their ads to complement “brand-safe” content. Unfortunately this is a subjective designation, which is difficult to define and enforce. Content, therefore, must be thoroughly reviewed and moderated — an expensive prospect. As YouTube recently learned with the “adpocalypse,” even a single poorly-moderated video can result in a PR disaster and undermine advertiser trust.
  • Few advertisers are willing to negotiate direct deals with platforms that don’t have enormous scale, meaning ad-revenue rates are lower for newer platforms. In turn, there’s less overall revenue to be shared with creators, which means creators are less likely to support newer platforms for a sustained period of time.

Reactions: Crown

ShyJosh

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Number of users has something to do with it. I guess that vidme most subscribed channel has like 10 000 subs. Compared to youtube 50M and twitch with 3M.