videos with famous songs lyrics

chiken

Reaction score
I was about to post the video but it's not allowed. I want to post a video to show the lyrics of a song and show the lyrics translation piece by piece without the audio of the song.

I posted a video like that 2 days ago and it hasn't been taking down yet (it has 200 views)

- is it against the rules? (I guess not since it hasn't been taken down yet... )
- if I'll ever get the youtube parnership would I be able to monetize it?

I'm planning on making many other videos like that, still with no audio.
I think this might be fair use because it's basically an English lesson since I'm translating word by word...

So can you please answer to my questons?

I would show you the video so you can see exactly what I mean but this site does not allow me.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Why are you doing it on Youtube? I understand you removing the audio, but all that is left is text right? So why are you doing this on a video platform? Surely it'd be more suited to a blog?

Reactions: chiken

chiken

Reaction score
I'm doing this on youtube because I have a youtube channel and I hope to make money with it. Even if I'm not allowed to monetize the video this could show my channel and I could get more subscribers.
Putting the video in a blog too, does not sound like a bad idea.
So can you answer to my question? Am I allowed to post this video and Am I also allowed to monetize it?

what is the cash: $3 on the left of this forum?

Last edited:

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm doing this on youtube because I have a youtube channel and I hope to make money with it. Even if I'm not allowed to monetize the video this could show my channel and I could get more subscribers.
Putting the video in a blog too, does not sound like a bad idea.
So can you answer to my question? Am I allowed to post this video and Am I also allowed to monetize it?

what is the cash: $3 on the left of this forum?
Well, I don't think you can monetize it. You'll have to look under fair use to get around the copyright. Your video doesn't sound like it's a parody. I think commentary can technically get around it. But you should focus on your original content. you'll get a ton of view sfor sure, but people won't watch you consistently/subscribe unless you bring something special to the table, something new to the table or just something that they actually want. It's a lot harder but it's the way to go. Also, if you're only in it for the cash, and not the experience, I'd cut my losses and do a blog instead. If you're about the experience, get your exposure the old fashioned way and just have fun. What's your blog about chik?

Also the cash thing is just like a little points system to reward you for staying active and contributing quality posts to the forum. Hope that helps. Cheers, can't wait to see your work!

chiken

Reaction score
so those are not real money on this forum? :D

Ok I'll keep posting videos but I won't monetize them.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Songs have 2 copyrights involved with them.

There's the copyright for the written work (music and lyrics) and another for the performance.

By muting your videos you're safe from any performance copyright claim, but you would still be in complete violation of the written copyright by posting the lyrics.