Video Unavailable - No Takedown notice or any details as to why this is occuring

hardbopslife

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new project where I'm uploading mixes I'm recording, made from original and re-releases of Blue Note records (they are all collectors items) and uploading the videos to my channel. I was well aware I wouldn't be able to monetize these videos as I do not own the music, plus the video content is simply a slideshow of the album art covers. This is a passion project, I just wish to share my 3 to 4 hour mixes for people to enjoy.

Until last week, all 4 videos on the channel had been monetized by the copyright owner (almost always Universal Music Group) and although there were quite a lot of ads, this was fine with me. That said, last week I started to get messages and noticed that 3 out of 4 videos were now Unavailable. The exact message is: Video unavailable - This video is not available.

Does anyone know what can this be due to? In Creator Studio or Studio Beta, I cannot see any disputes or new claims. The video is 'unavailable' everywhere, it doesn't seem to be region-dependant and it also seems device-agnostic, wether on desktop or mobile, the videos are unavailable.

What can this be due to?

Thanks in advance!
It's a hard bops life

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the owner decided to take down the video rather than re-monetize it. It's definitely not uncommon. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about if you know that it's copyrighted. You can try to re-upload unlisted and share it that way rather than making it publicly available. Are you certain that you didn't leave monetization on when you released the video?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think this fits a little better in the copyright / claims discussion forum, so I've moved it to there. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Sounds like a worldwide block on the grounds of copyright to me.

If you have multiples of these, your channel privileges will be affected eventually. I'd stop uploading copyright content if I were you. Please have a look at this section of YouTube's Terms of Service.

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below."

Keep going the way you are now, and you will end up with a terminated channel. YouTube is now also actually enforcing the rule that says if you have a channel terminated, you cannot create, own or access any further YouTube channels; so if you happen to get terminated, it is literally all over for you as far as YouTube is concerned.

hardbopslife

Reaction score
Thnks for the replies

I am making 4 hour long jazz vinyl mixes
with 1950s and 60’s hard bop
I see 100’s of channels doing very poor sound quality digital playlists and they seem to be ok

How come we should be in any trouble here ?

there has been no notice what so ever of any copyright complaints or strikes

& the copyright owners of many songs have put ads in my videos they are monetizing off them

I have not monetized anything

the same week we have run into this
“Video Unavailable “ problem
it seems many many people have posted on the google support forum
having the exact same troubles

this project is fun I hope we will be able to continue
it really actually is about preserving a musical culture

from what I can see
Universal Music Group are the only company that own any of this music
and they usually just take their claims off channels playing their music
as they have been doing with mine
They don’t really have a Channel themselves

Ok all of this is my humble opinion
from reading and research I really don’t know
a thing
but I do see 100’s of YouTube channels playing
jazz music and they seems to be fine
I’d like to be fine also

This is the channel
we had 4 videos now only 1

Last edited:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
here has been no notice what so ever of any copyright complaints or strikes
What do you think that "& the copyright owners of many songs have put ads in my videos they are monetizing off them" is? A Content ID claim is certainly a copyright complaint!

Worse; a content owner has the right to change their policy at any time; so those claims can turn to actual copyright strikes without warning. Three copyright strikes will terminate your channel permanently; and this is why I warned you to stop uploading copyright content ASAP.

What happens with or to other YouTube channels has no bearing on your own channel's position, or status. If you could go into your YouTube creator studio and get the shortlinks for the affected videos, I would be deeply appreciative, as only a single video is showing on your channel at the moment, which you've already stated. You will find the shortlinks in the Edit section of each video.

I also see you haven't done your homework.

"
from what I can see
Universal Music Group are the only company that own any of this music
and they usually just take their claims off channels playing their music
as they have been doing with mine
They don’t really have a Channel themselves"

https://www.youtube.com/user/universalmusicgroup

You are trying to go up against a multi-billion dollar International Media Corporation, which owns a YouTube channel with millions of both subscribers and views; plus holds the recording contracts of not only the artists whose music you display on your channel, but thousands of modern musicians also.

You might want to open your eyes and have a look around you; before the 10 ton weight hanging over your head, comes crashing down on it.

Last edited:

hardbopslife

Reaction score
I’m not trying to go Up against anybody
Just sharing audio file quality mixes
From vinyl of my favorite music

I don’t know what this means “getting the short links “

but I will s figure that out and post here
If that’s what your asking me to do ?

are you saying to me that even though
100’s of channels are posting jazz music from the 50’s that I can’t ?

Sorry my research has its limits
I’m not as invested in internet research as
most of you that’s why I’m here asking advice

is there any possibility I will be able to continue sharing these vinyl mixes
on YouTube without the giants trying to kill me?
are you 100% sure that I can’t do this anymore?

I am truly hoping there’s a chance this will be possible to continue for me as it is for many

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I’m not trying to go Up against anybody
Just sharing audio file quality mixes
From vinyl of my favorite music
Doing that without permission of the copyright owners is the problem, and yes; if your post their copyright media without their permission, you are indeed "going up against them", as you are competing with them. Even YouTube's Terms of Service, which you were supposed to have read and understood when you joined YT forbids uploading third party copyright content without a license or permission to do so.
I don’t know what this means “getting the short links “

but I will s figure that out and post here
If that’s what your asking me to do ?
I told you how to get the short link. Go into the edit section of the video you want to link; and it will be to the right of the playable video in that section...sigh. It will start with "https://youtu.be".
Sorry my research has its limits
I’m not as invested in internet research as
most of you that’s why I’m here asking advice
No "internet research" was needed. All you had to do was put "Universal Music Group" into the search box on YouTube and it would have been the first result. This is why I said you hadn't done your homework, but simply assumed that UMG didn't have a YouTube channel.
are you saying to me that even though
100’s of channels are posting jazz music from the 50’s that I can’t ?
They can't either. The difference is they haven't been caught yet, and you have been.
is there any possibility I will be able to continue sharing these vinyl mixes
on YouTube without the giants trying to kill me?
are you 100% sure that I can’t do this anymore?
Yes there is. Go to UMG's corporate website and pay for a license to use the music. Each song will need to be licensed individually, if I make no mistake.

Last edited:

hardbopslife

Reaction score
Ok thank you i think I am getting your points
even though hard to accept .
I will try to “do my homework “. properly

if you know any tricks to get permissions
by creating some kind of educational or non profit channel Please share

Or if you know of any paid consultants that can help I’d be willing to try

making these mixes sharing them & receiving feedback about them has been very fulfilling hobby since embracing sober living

thanks again for your time here