Video Stealing By Other YouTubers

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have witnessed multiple people copy some of my videos and post them to their own YouTube channels with the same title and tags before and claim that they were theirs. These people had more subscribers than me, so they would start stealing my views because they popped up higher than me on the searches. I contacted them and they eventually removed my videos after arguing with them and showing that I had proof that I shot the videos. They were also able to monetize and gain subscribers by showing videos that were not even theirs. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I see some channels that get all their views just by copying other people's videos and re-posting them without permission. I saw one guy get over 2,000 views in less than an hour from one of my videos, but I saw this was happening so I told him to remove it.

thecomputertips

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
yea there is next time dont be so nice and just claim the video as copyrighted under your name, they will get a strike on their channel and that will teach them a lesson. its a little harsh but sometimes thats the way some people will learn, by seeing the consequences to their actions.

Bryant

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer
also, when you're editing your video, you can put your own channel's name in the corner so that if they do reupload it, that mark will be there and you have easy, explicit proof.

unknown_user00005

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Warn them once, or twice.
Eventually if it gets bad enough Youtube has a tool to delete the video and permanently screw their account so they cannot partner or monentize again..
I don't ever advise doing this, but it's an option.

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well, first let's take a look at what you are doing.. Is this for a game? Is your voice in the commentary? Do you have an example of one that is stolen.. A false DMCA can lead to legal troubles and/or the loss of your account.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well, first let's take a look at what you are doing.. Is this for a game? Is your voice in the commentary? Do you have an example of one that is stolen.. A false DMCA can lead to legal troubles and/or the loss of your account.
I don't do gaming videos. Here is the one I've seen copied multiple times:
This one was stolen by two different people and monetized on both YouTube channels. The second time it was stolen it had the description and everything copied verbatim and got about 2,000 views super fast. I also saw it used by somebody on LiveLeak.com without linking to my channel and it received about 250,000 views. I'm not sure what I can do about the liveleak version, but I had the YouTube videos removed. When people say that I stole the video from the other channels or sites, all I have to do is show them the upload date and pictures of me with the exact weapon system. What is a DMCA by the way?[DOUBLEPOST=1354221199,1354220848][/DOUBLEPOST]
also, when you're editing your video, you can put your own channel's name in the corner so that if they do reupload it, that mark will be there and you have easy, explicit proof.
That's a good idea... I should flash it in the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of the video in different portions of the screen so they can't just cut out the bottom part of the video.

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Do you have any definitive way of proving that's yours? DMCA stands for the Digital Media Copyright Act.. It protects you if someone steals your media. You can go to youtube and have them take it down.. 'File a DMCA' is what it's called. It very negatively effects the other user. However, they can counter and if they do you must take them to court. They Can also sue if it's a 'false dmca'.

Reactions: JamesWorley

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have witnessed multiple people copy some of my videos and post them to their own YouTube channels with the same title and tags before and claim that they were theirs. These people had more subscribers than me, so they would start stealing my views because they popped up higher than me on the searches. I contacted them and they eventually removed my videos after arguing with them and showing that I had proof that I shot the videos. They were also able to monetize and gain subscribers by showing videos that were not even theirs. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I see some channels that get all their views just by copying other people's videos and re-posting them without permission. I saw one guy get over 2,000 views in less than an hour from one of my videos, but I saw this was happening so I told him to remove it.

There is also a method of Flagging videos as inappropriate, for the reason of: This video violates my copyright... This would alert YT to the copyright infringement and allow Google/Youtube to take swift action on your behalf... I bet not too many more people will be stealing your content if you have a valid claim and do this. Hope it helps :);):smug:

Losoyo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There is also a method of Flagging videos as inappropriate, for the reason of: This video violates my copyright... This would alert YT to the copyright infringement and allow Google/Youtube to take swift action on your behalf... I bet not too many more people will be stealing your content if you have a valid claim and do this. Hope it helps :);):smug:
I think that actually sends you to another webpage doesn't it?

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think that actually sends you to another webpage doesn't it?
Never had the issue myself, but I am sure if you're making a claim as to that magnitude the process would be an officious one and require a subsequent page sure...