Video Sponsor Message Length

Ed Ricker

Hi all,
I haven't posted here in a while, but I wanted to get your opinions on something. Hope this is the right forum.

I have had a company reach out to me to monetary sponsor a set of my upcoming videos and we've talked about cost, methods, etc. I make videos about drones, and the sponsor is a drone insurance app so it's very applicable to my audience.

Originally I thought a 30 second mention would be the very max I could do without losing or frustrating viewers, but now I'm wondering if that's too long to sit through. The videos in question would be in the 15-18 minute range in length, and they'd be instructional how-to videos. I expect them to have 100k+ views each within a few months.

So, what would you rather see as a viewer? A 30 second sponsor mention, two 15 second mentions evenly spaced in the video, or do you have other ideas on how to do this?
What if the sponsor message came in the middle instead of at the beginning?
Should I refrain from running Adsense on the videos since that could be overkill to people without Adblock or YouTube Premium?

Thanks for you help!
Ed R.

You can try to integrate it into the actual a video instead of having any type of mid/post-roll. Since their product is relevant to your content, I don't think it will be difficult to include it seamlessly into the content with sporadic mentions and a call-to-action at the end.

Also, best practice for sponsored videos is to demonetize the video for a set amount of days. If you're getting paid for it, I would avoid double dipping in adsense and your sponsor pay.

Also, best practice for sponsored videos is to demonetize the video for a set amount of days. If you're getting paid for it, I would avoid double dipping in adsense and your sponsor pay.
I'm curious why you say this; do you think the sponsor would be irritated to see the video is monetised or does youtube frown on it? I have the first of a series of sponsored vlogs in production at the moment, so I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Regarding the OP's question: Philip De Franco is a great example of how to integrate a sponsored message into your video. He is direct, talks in detail about the product, and then gets back to his normal vlog material. It's all over in about 30 seconds, and as a regular viewer I can honestly say it doesn't bother me and I may even buy/use whatever he is promoting. I think he normally pitches the sponsor mid way through.

I'm curious why you say this; do you think the sponsor would be irritated to see the video is monetised or does youtube frown on it? I have the first of a series of sponsored vlogs in production at the moment, so I really don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Regarding the OP's question: Philip De Franco is a great example of how to integrate a sponsored message into your video. He is direct, talks in detail about the product, and then gets back to his normal vlog material. It's all over in about 30 seconds, and as a regular viewer I can honestly say it doesn't bother me and I may even buy/use whatever he is promoting. I think he normally pitches the sponsor mid way through.

Sponsors like to see high conversion rates. Sometimes having two ads running in the video can lead to lower conversion rates for both. It's not unusual for sponsors to request you turn off monetization for several days upon releasing a video to decrease competition.

PDF and many creators like him have contracts with certain sponsors. The contract probably allows the use of adsense monetization in their videos as well as other ad spots. PDF's influence is far greater than a lot of low-end creators that have sponsors. The conversion is naturally greater for those that have stronger influence over their viewers (as well as the fact that he has consistently high view numbers). The more popular and influential you are, the more leverage you get with your sponsors.

Sponsors like to see high conversion rates. Sometimes having two ads running in the video can lead to lower conversion rates for both. It's not unusual for sponsors to request you turn off monetization for several days upon releasing a video to decrease competition.
Thanks - that's really useful information.

Back