Video review!

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for a review on my video; how is the overall look of the video (I use a custom 'filter' over the top of the video, does it look alright?)
Also, how is my audio? My microphone recently died on me so I'm just using my cameras mic, is the audio quality acceptable, or do I need to run out and get a mic asap? (I'm planning on getting one in about a month)

Any other constructive criticism would be great!

how are my thumbnails as well?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Definitively get a microphone, your voice sounds muffled. Do you use shotguns or lapier by the way? I got myself a lapier and I am looking for tips on how to properly use it or post-production video editing.
About the rest, the lack of microphone may play a part but you speak very fast, it's almost disorienting for a non-native english speaker like me.
One last thing you may do but it's more of a personal pick of mine, you could try and switch camera angle to a mid shot or similar, to show also yourself physically opening the pods with the items inside.
The thumbnail looks fine, or at least in line what I'd expect with a Youtube channel that makes similar content.
I hope I've been helpful!

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Definitively get a microphone, your voice sounds muffled. Do you use shotguns or lapier by the way? I got myself a lapier and I am looking for tips on how to properly use it or post-production video editing.
About the rest, the lack of microphone may play a part but you speak very fast, it's almost disorienting for a non-native english speaker like me.
One last thing you may do but it's more of a personal pick of mine, you could try and switch camera angle to a mid shot or similar, to show also yourself physically opening the pods with the items inside.
The thumbnail looks fine, or at least in line what I'd expect with a Youtube channel that makes similar content.
I hope I've been helpful!
Thank you for the advice!
I think I've been told before that I speak quite quickly, I'll try to slow down a little bit, thats how I normally talk so it can be a bit tricky! (andI didn't think about non native speakers, oops! I'll keep that in mind)
I used to use a snowball mic (would that count as a shotgun mic?) so I wouldn't be much help with any other type of mic.. Sorry! Although I think I might pick up a Lavalier mic next time, they seem easier to use.

I'm not really sure how I would switch up the camera angle, since I only have one camera.. I've thought about doing these videos but recording them from a 'viewer' perspective (basically just my hands on screen opening the gashapon), other than doing the whole video like that I'm not sure how I'd do it!

Thanks again for the advice!

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Although I think I might pick up a Lavalier mic next time, they seem easier to use.
Cool, hopefully I'll do some proper recording this weekend using one as well so I can get an impression on what to do with it.
I'm not really sure how I would switch up the camera angle, since I only have one camera.. I've thought about doing these videos but recording them from a 'viewer' perspective (basically just my hands on screen opening the gashapon), other than doing the whole video like that I'm not sure how I'd do it!
Ashens style, basically. I can think of a multi camera setup if you have the tools for it, and alternate between the Viewers' POV and the front camera, syncing may be the issue there, though.

If I end up recording the video on the Lavalier microphone, do you mind if I send it your way, so you can give me your thoughts too?

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hello Amber,
I looked at your video a while ago and looked again and see that you have replied to the answers you have received. Well done on answering that reply, as there are some folk that ask for advice and fail to even acknowledge the help given.

Just about myself offering advice. I’m a well-retired pensioner also from the UK and ran a photo studio for several years back in the days of film, before digital that is. Have been involved in making films since – well - the days of 8mm cine. BV (Before Video that is!) Quite a while as you can see. It does mean that my age gives me views and opinions that may not be quite as youngsters (that’s you) see things in this modern world.

On to your video. I can see that it’s is certainly not your first effort. Certainly many experienced touches in it to be a real beginners effort. I agree with the other reviewer that you certainly speak very fast and even I, as a native of this country, find difficulty in following. Do you have a Mancurion accent also? So please try to slow down somewhat. I can see you are not working to an actual script some must be congratulated in being able to explain things without too many ‘Ummmms & Ahhhhhs’.

You explain about not having your usual mic but was relying on the mic on the camera. For me, the actual sound was adequate, keeping in mind that the YouTube reproduction is certainly not HiFi and the way many of us listen to the audio - on phone/tablets or monitors is not HiFi either. So even by investing in a much more expensive mic for recording, by the time it gets to us, the improvements may not seem that great.

You say “I used to use a snowball mic (would that count as a shotgun mic?)” The answer is no! A Lav. Mic is a good choice but they come in all kinds of quality and prices. Don’t feel that you must have the most expensive. A medium-priced model from a well-known maker should suit your requirements. There is such a vast choice that suggesting a particular model is not easy.

I was pleased to see that you included many close-ups of the small items you were explaining and also some advertising leaflets(???) Panning across them. The panning shots of the artwork appear to have been with your camera hand-held giving you a somewhat wobbly result. Try using your tripod next time and pan SLOWLY!. These things are great and get away from a constant ‘talking head’. I do feel that (as like your speech) these pans were somewhat too fast as were your movements with the small items. If I might flatter you, it does show a very busy active mind! Try slowing down all these things giving the interested viewer time to take in the info. You might consider using some still frames occasionally.

As the other reviewer mentioned, getting away from the close-up headshots to a wider angle would give some variety to the production and let us see just a little more of your setting. I like the background behind you which is better than just a plain wall chosen by many doing this sort of thing.

Your thumbnail is fine by me but I do like to see a proper title intro sequence at the start of a video. If gives the viewer a couple of seconds to settle in before we see you speaking. Perhaps these days the thumbnail is used instead of a title sequence. (This may be the modern way and it’s just me showing my age)

I like the use of some appropriate music. Not too loud, in fact, the volume just right. Well done on that point. The composition of yourself within the frame is very good – well done – but as previously mentioned, a change of viewpoint occasionally might help.

You say you use a ‘custom’ filter over the video. Do you mean over the lens at the taking stage, or added in the editing stage? In my days of doing portraits, I frequently used special defusing filters to flatter ladies who maybe needed it. Very effective. What was your aim in doing this? Here I will comment that, to my eye, the exposure in the video was just a little on the ‘bright’ side – not totally overexposed but just a little pale. Perhaps that’s your intention. Flattering to you of course. However, it did affect the items you were displaying where we wanted to see the sharp detail.

You say: (I’ve thought about doing these videos but recording them from a 'viewer' perspective (basically just my hands on-screen opening the gashapon), Do you mean taking some shots from over your shoulder to give that different viewpoint? That would be a good idea giving a change of viewpoint as previously mentioned.

May I ask what is GACHAPON??? Are you demonstrating the items as a promo prior to selling??? Just a note - I spot you spell GASHAPON in two different ways in the video?

There are several what is known as ‘jump cuts’ in the video where you have edited and joined scenes together resulting in a sudden ‘jump’ effect. Not easy to avoid, but where possible I suggest to place a ‘fade to white’ at this point. Easy for me to say of course. I’m assuming that you record the videos on your own with no camera person to assist? Am I correct? If so you have my admirations as I frequently do this sort of thing and it’s far from easy.

I think that’s enough from me. Well done on the video. Pete.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If I end up recording the video on the Lavalier microphone, do you mind if I send it your way, so you can give me your thoughts too?
Absolutely, go for it!

------------------------------------

On to your video. I can see that it’s is certainly not your first effort. Certainly many experienced touches in it to be a real beginners effort. I agree with the other reviewer that you certainly speak very fast and even I, as a native of this country, find difficulty in following. Do you have a Mancurion accent also? So please try to slow down somewhat. I can see you are not working to an actual script some must be congratulated in being able to explain things without too many ‘Ummmms & Ahhhhhs’.
I'll do my best to slow down a little!
Thank you! I have been making videos for about 6 years or so, I'm definately not very skilled and I have many things to learn but it makes me very happy to know I sound alright without a script!

I'm not from Manchester, no! But I'm close by, I'm from somewhere near to Stoke-On-Trent,Cheshire area (If you know there)
You say “I used to use a snowball mic (would that count as a shotgun mic?)” The answer is no! A Lav. Mic is a good choice but they come in all kinds of quality and prices. Don’t feel that you must have the most expensive. A medium-priced model from a well-known maker should suit your requirements. There is such a vast choice that suggesting a particular model is not easy.

I was pleased to see that you included many close-ups of the small items you were explaining and also some advertising leaflets(???) Panning across them. The panning shots of the artwork appear to have been with your camera hand-held giving you a somewhat wobbly result. Try using your tripod next time and pan SLOWLY!. These things are great and get away from a constant ‘talking head’. I do feel that (as like your speech) these pans were somewhat too fast as were your movements with the small items. If I might flatter you, it does show a very busy active mind! Try slowing down all these things giving the interested viewer time to take in the info. You might consider using some still frames occasionally.
I do use a smaller tripod to record the close ups, I think my hands might have been a little shaky in these clips, but again, I'll try to slow down! :roflmao2:
It's quite a tricky setup as a have to reach around my camera to film these close ups.. I might need to find a better way to film these clips!

Your thumbnail is fine by me but I do like to see a proper title intro sequence at the start of a video. If gives the viewer a couple of seconds to settle in before we see you speaking. Perhaps these days the thumbnail is used instead of a title sequence. (This may be the modern way and it’s just me showing my age)
It might be showing my attention span, but I personally find intro's to distract a little from the video itself, but I'll see if I can add something

May I ask what is GACHAPON??? Are you demonstrating the items as a promo prior to selling??? Just a note - I spot you spell GASHAPON in two different ways in the video?

There are several what is known as ‘jump cuts’ in the video where you have edited and joined scenes together resulting in a sudden ‘jump’ effect. Not easy to avoid, but where possible I suggest to place a ‘fade to white’ at this point. Easy for me to say of course. I’m assuming that you record the videos on your own with no camera person to assist? Am I correct? If so you have my admirations as I frequently do this sort of thing and it’s far from easy.
A gachapon/Gashapon (often spelt either way) is a Japanese toy that comes in little round capsules, that you get from machines (usually cheaper items)
I've never found a TRUE explanation of which spelling is correct, so i try to use both spellings in my title/description to make sure anyone searching for EITHER term will be able to find my video! (It's confusing, though!)

I have actually been working on a transition screen to change from one view to another, to avoid the sudden jump cuts!
And yes, I do abolutely everything on my own!

You say you use a ‘custom’ filter over the video. Do you mean over the lens at the taking stage, or added in the editing stage? In my days of doing portraits, I frequently used special defusing filters to flatter ladies who maybe needed it. Very effective. What was your aim in doing this? Here I will comment that, to my eye, the exposure in the video was just a little on the ‘bright’ side – not totally overexposed but just a little pale. Perhaps that’s your intention. Flattering to you of course. However, it did affect the items you were displaying where we wanted to see the sharp detail.
I mean over the video while editing, I basically increase the exposure, gamma and contrast slightly and add a 'peach' colour over the top, I've found that is the most flattering to myself, and I just like the look of it!
I might change the settings a little for the up-close shots, to make sure all of thedetail is shown!

Thank you so much for such an in-depth review! I really appriciate all of the feedback you've given and I'll try to keep all of it in mind! :wub:

Reactions: Conso1727

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Amber,
Thanks for your prompt reply with answers to several of the points raised. During the day I followed leads to your YT site and from there to other social media sites that I know nothing about (My age of course). Naturally, I eventually came across a few more of your videos all being in the same style. Needless to say I have learned quite a lot about you. Student – artist etc. and the fact that I am more than 60 years older than you.:)

I did try to view your Facebook site but for some reason, it wasn’t available? I know little about Facebook, but I do know it’s possible to send a private message which I would like to have done along with a link to a small clip of video I’ve already created but prefer not to put on an open forum. However, I think I have found on one of your other sites a spot to send a private message. Unless you can tell me another way to send you a clip?

I didn’t view all the way through each video but generally, I was able to understand what you were talking about. All in all, I’m quite impressed. I returned to the video posted here and viewed again and by concentrating was able to understand a lot more of what you are saying. I noticed you used changes of location for recording other videos. All interesting of course.

"I'll do my best to slow down a little!" It’s appreciated that consciously trying to slow down when you are speaking for video, might result in sounding a little stilted and unnatural. It will need some practice. Even after all my years of making videos, I still find I have a great deal more to learn both at the taking and editing stage. Keep up the good work.

"I do use a smaller tripod to record the close-ups, I think my hands might have been a little shaky in these clips, but again, I'll try to slow down!"
Ah, tripods! You mention using a smaller tripod for your close-ups and panning. Over time I have found that the smaller (and cheaper) tripods are not equipped with substantial – and adequate - pan/tilt head suitable for video. Sadly this can result in quite wobbly pans/tilts unless the greatest care is taken. I have now again studied your video and think that for your pan on the first strip of artwork, you didn’t pan the camera but held the strip between your hands and moved the actual artwork??? I don’t think that is an ideal way to get a very smooth result!!! I do have a superb BIG tripod to use with my main camera but sadly it’s now too heavy for me to carry around these days. My next smaller tripod is adequate but still suffers from problems occasionally, especially outdoors in a strong breeze.

"It's quite a tricky setup as a have to reach around my camera to film these close-ups.. I might need to find a better way to film these clips!" I fully understand what you mean. I’m fortunate in that my main (BIG) camera has a remote control that enables stop/start and zoom from my position in front of the camera. However, my small camcorder doesn’t have this facility so when using this camera this is the way I do it. I will do all the framing up etc. then get up from my position (usually at a table) walk around to the camera and start it then return and sit again. After the take, I walk to camera to switch off. Admittedly it’s a bit long-winded. The excess footage at the beginning and end is easily cropped at the editing stage. Have you tried this way? I mention two of my cameras that are camcorders. I don’t have one of the modern DSLR types. Do you use a DSLR type or a camcorder?

"It might be showing my attention span, but I personally find intro's to distract a little from the video itself, but I'll see if I can add something." Ah yes – your active mind is anxious to get to the meat of the video. I appreciate and understand your point but a quite short intro would be suitable. As mentioned I have actually made a 30-second test clip to show you. See my earlier comment about sending you a small private message.

"A gachapon/Gashapon (often spelt either way) is a Japanese toy that comes in little round capsules, that you get from machines (usually cheaper items)"
I’ve now Googled GACHAPON and understand what you mean and what the product is. You didn’t answer my query about what you do with these items? What is the purpose of your videos? Are you selling the displayed items? Who are the videos directed at? The answers to these questions would give a guide to the way you present your work. Don’t forget I came across your video not knowing anything at all about the subject matter and thus had to do some research.

"I have actually been working on a transition screen to change from one view to another, to avoid the sudden jump cuts!" I’ve no idea what editing programme you use but that really isn’t important as most programmes do have a section for creating transitions. You can tell me what programme you use if you wish! As already mentioned, I have already made a very short sample clip that covers a couple of transitions and other points.

"I mean over the video while editing, I basically increase the exposure, gamma and contrast slightly and add a 'peach' colour over the top, I've found that is the most flattering to myself, and I just like the look of it! I might change the settings a little for the up-close shots, to make sure all of the detail is shown!" Thanks for explaining about your ‘custom’ filter. It shows your artistic creative side again. What is important is that YOU have created it yourself and YOU like the result – that’s all that matters and that it suits your projects.

Do let me know your suggestion for sending you this short demo clip in a private way.
Happy videoing.
Pete.

Reactions: AmberAndGolden