Video responses as a promotion tool?

enzerutomoshibi

Evil Fairy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer
So I see people all the time posting their videos as responses to big name youtubers in an attempt to get noticed. Sometimes they are relevant (congratulating them on a milestone) and sometimes they aren't (vlogs on gameplay videos or vice versa). It will indeed garner attention, however, it's often the kind of thing that draws in haters. I'm curious to see what the community thinks of this kind of self promotion. Should it be used? How should it be used if so?

Thexwildxguitarist

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think its fine if its a relevant response. For example a guitar cover of a song by the same band as the video your posting the response too.

Reactions: Stef

AYRENvids

I need to stop caring too much.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, if it's relevant, it's fine. I had a video '5 Things I Hate About Youtube' and posted that as a video response to a video about the same thing except that person mentioned 20 things, but that was fine. They also had their responses set to approving and they approved mine.

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think its fine if its a relevant response. For example a guitar cover of a song by the same band as the video your posting the response too.
I agree with this. It still once in a while will bring haters but any kinda exposure will. I know if I keep it on the same topic of the original video I will get views and once in a while subs from it.

Reactions: Michael

Vandallist

Reaction score
back in the days this thing was popular, but now i think box 4 box is better option...

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reply videos that are relevant definitely help with views/subs.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Want to add that that's one reason i do youtube remix videos. I remix some youtubers video, post it as a reply to their video, and thats gotten me views and likes and subs.

Also i sometimes add some of my videos to popular vevo music videos. Even when its not related and I've gotten some views from that. The only thing with that is that many others do the same thing, and within minutes sometimes your video is quickly drowned by other videos.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What exactly is box for box?
Thats putting each other in the featured channels on both channels, an exchange like sub4sub but not subscribing, just putting each other in each others boxes.

I honestly think its a great way to get exposure for your channel and content, they do help bring in viewers from the channel youre responding to and some could subscribe if they enjoyed your response. I dont think there is anything to lose doing them if theyre relevant in some way, doing them for the sake of getting views where the content is completely irrelevant could tarnish your reputation.

GlennathonMcD

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Ranter, Comedian
I've posted a few. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but on one that I posted, although it had very few views, I did get more adsense $ then I would've with other videos with the same # of views. Maybe this means that the people that watched watched for longer. Anyone else notice this?