Video Quality. Yay or Nay.

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your video quality is pretty good. To be honest, I'd prioritize audio over video quality. I hear some background ambient noise that could likely be fixed by either using a shotgun mic and aiming close to you or figuring out a way to use a lav mic.

Here's the funny thing, you fix that little thing, and you'll think your videos look better. Weird but true.

As for a video camera, if your do upgrade, you don't need anything expensive. We're cutting footage from a $20k (yes, that's twenty thousand) RED Epic Dragon with an old $300 Canon T2i and most people can't tell the difference.

It's about lighting well, doing the sound well, then getting decent lenses after you buy a cheap DSLR. Good luck and good stuff. Keep up the great work!

Oh yeah, figured I'd mention I've been working in the film industry for about 10 years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxheathermarie

Axiom Brevity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So I'm considering investing in a "Big Kid Camera"... New lens, camera, everything. However, I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not. If someone could take a look at some my recent videos (within the last two months at least cause I updated my lighting) and tell me if they think I need to upgrade or not?

I'm not a large channel so I don't want to invest if it's not necessary right now. I know quality over quantity. But if my quality isn't that bad then maybe I'll wait till black friday to upgrade.
What camera are you using now and what do you create your thumbnails with?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
From looking at your videos myself I say your quality is pretty good. The audio is very crisp and clear and lighting is also very good.
For me the question is how much do you want to spend on a bigger, expensive camera to improve the imagery? To me your video quality is pretty good at the moment but if you feel the need to upgrade sooner then later without breaking the bank then go for it. =]

I went from a little HD camcorder (Sony HDR CX110) to a higher end camcorder (Canon Vixia HF G30) which is what I filmed my last big project with but then upgraded to a small compact professional camcorder (Canon XA35) for all my current projects. I have a DSLR (Canon Rebel T5i) for some Photography and Video.

I'm overall much happier with my new cameras and I can tell my fans are too. So it more or less depends on what you want to do as far as upgrading goes. =] As long as your entertaining/informative in front of the camera then to a lot of people it doesn't really matter if you have a $300 camera or a $20,000 camera. They will follow you regardless. Hope that helps!

Axiom Brevity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
From looking at your videos myself I say your quality is pretty good. The audio is very crisp and clear and lighting is also very good.
For me the question is how much do you want to spend on a bigger, expensive camera to improve the imagery? To me your video quality is pretty good at the moment but if you feel the need to upgrade sooner then later without breaking the bank then go for it. =]

I went from a little HD camcorder (Sony HDR CX110) to a higher end camcorder (Canon Vixia HF G30) which is what I filmed my last big project with but then upgraded to a small compact professional camcorder (Canon XA35) for all my current projects. I have a DSLR (Canon Rebel T5i) for some Photography and Video.

I'm overall much happier with my new cameras and I can tell my fans are too. So it more or less depends on what you want to do as far as upgrading goes. =] As long as your entertaining/informative in front of the camera then to a lot of people it doesn't really matter if you have a $300 camera or a $20,000 camera. They will follow you regardless. Hope that helps!

Kesler's Dad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As long as your entertaining/informative in front of the camera then to a lot of people it doesn't really matter if you have a $300 camera or a $20,000 camera. They will follow you regardless.
Nail on the head. Exactly what Farley Productions posted but I'd like to add that sound quality is much more important than video quality but your sound is fine.

xxheathermarie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

Thank you everyone for your opinions. You made me feel a lot more confident in my quality.

If I did upgrade I'd probably get a cheaper end DSLR to learn how to use it and invest more in the lenses. I haven't done my research but I'd probably get a canon. I currently own 2 Nikons and 1 Canon, and I personally just prefer the Canon. Thats about as much as I know so far. I'd clearly have to research further.. But maybe I'll consider adjusting my audio first?

Again thank you all for taking the time to watch my videos and give feedback.[DOUBLEPOST=1493106301,1493106250][/DOUBLEPOST]
What camera are you using now and what do you create your thumbnails with?
Depends on the photo. Some are iPhone photos, some are from my Canon g7x. Some are screenshots from filming.

Axiom Brevity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you everyone for your opinions. You made me feel a lot more confident in my quality.

If I did upgrade I'd probably get a cheaper end DSLR to learn how to use it and invest more in the lenses. I haven't done my research but I'd probably get a canon. I currently own 2 Nikons and 1 Canon, and I personally just prefer the Canon. Thats about as much as I know so far. I'd clearly have to research further.. But maybe I'll consider adjusting my audio first?

Again thank you all for taking the time to watch my videos and give feedback.[DOUBLEPOST=1493106301,1493106250][/DOUBLEPOST]

Depends on the photo. Some are iPhone photos, some are from my Canon g7x. Some are screenshots from filming.
Nice, do you use Photoshop?