Video Frequency

the1janitor

subscribe if you like my hair
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
The common wisdom is that a good frequency of uploading videos is about once or more per week, so that your viewers can keep up with you and never fear that you've become lazy or went away. But I wonder about this. There are certain channels that post several times a week (like vlogbrothers) that I ALWAYS immediately watch, mainly because I love them. But then there are channels that do the same (like wheezywaiter) that I tend to skip a lot of the time. Is it because I like wheezywaiter less? Possibly. BUT, I can say with all honesty that I like wheezywaiter more than meekakitty or charlieissocoollike, yet I NEVER miss a meekakitty or charlie video. The difference? They post roughly once or twice a month. Now they have dedicated audiences so maybe they can get away with that, but I do think the fact that they post less frequently has a lot to do with why I make a point of watching all their videos.
This is kind of a rambly post, but does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also, I am a vlogger, so obviously I know more about other vloggers than other genres. I don't mean to leave out your favorite channels :)

DeantheDinosauce

Cartoonist/Animator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Maybe it's because Charlie and Meeka rarely upload, so when a video pops up it's like being told a dragon is breaking out of its shell - You HAVE to watch.

I personally like Charlie more than Wheezy, I don't watch Meeka. I upload every two weeks usually on a Tuesday, sometime in the future I want to upload every week and a half or so.

Draegast

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
When I think of the people im subbed to 1-2 people come to mind right away... the rest are great don't get me wrong and I enjoy watching them but there are 2 I try to never miss. This heightens when they don't upload much. The rest ill watch if i see them on my list but i wont go outta my way to check up and catch up. This can be said the same for tv shows... I'll never miss a breaking bad ep and if I do I'll be sure to watch it later... other shows theyre great but they arn't detrimental.

Gus Monkeyton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
When I started out on YoYT I was really good about uploading once or twice a week. I then got burned out and took two lengtty breaks from YouTube. The first break I took was several months, and when I posted a new video there were a lot of really excite folks. Saying, "holy crap, you're back!" That lasted for a bit, but again I got burned out and was away from my channel for almost a year. I still got some of that "wow!" response, but it faded. So, to sum up... I'd say 1 video every week is the minimum and nothing over 3 per week. I think people are too busy.

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey there from another vlogger! :D

I think it's all a matter of taste when it comes to why you rush to watch some videos while skipping others. The channels I really enjoy watching (charlieissocoollike, nerimon, olgakay, kurttoons, schemestresses, etc.) could upload any amount of videos in any amount of time and I would watch them all! But for the channels I don't like as much, posting more than twice a week seems like too much.

I aim to upload once a week (though I don't rigidly keep myself on a scheduled day, so sometimes I'll post Monday and Saturday, and then nothing until the next Sunday). I feel like any more than this and my audience would dwindle.

Ha ha. That's a fun word. Dwindle.

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I personally try to upload something every day, but I suppose it's a lot easier for gaming channels since you deal with a lot of prerecorded footage. I can play the game for 2 hours on one day and have enough footage for a week.

It also depends on how much editing you do on your vlogs. Some vlogs have heavy graphics they put in, others just record and upload. I would always try to upload every day or every other day without exception if that is reasonable for the type of videos you are making.

Zach Thompson

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's extremely important to stick to a schedule, and not to change it. I noticed, that I got less views when I posted daily compared to when I posted a video each, and every Saturday. It also allowed me to get views throughout the week, and subscribers could not be bothered trawling through the rest of the videos I posted every day that week in comparison to only needing to watch ONE video per week. I think people are quite lazy, and have little time so it just makes things easier.

Discern4

Reaction score
vlogging might be different and I don't watch that sort of content, but I prefer a longer delay like at least two weeks between videos. I just don't have the time to watch a weekly video, especially if it's just someone commenting on current affairs or something. I also found that longer delays also caused me to go back to that person's channel and check out older videos that I might not have seen yet (depending on how much I liked that person's content).

I agree that a schedule is a good idea, but it can be hard to stick to. Sometimes you do just get burnt out and need a break.