Video file (mp4) is incomplete due to power outtage

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good Morning,

So I was doing my usual gameplay, recording it on Nvidia shadowplay.

About 35 minutes in, my power goes off. For 15 seconds. Then kicks back on.

The video file is there, it has the information. 6.23GB file. But since the power went off instead of me stopping the recording, I can't use the file.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Has anyone ever fixed it or recovered the mp4 file to use?

It's not a life or death thing, but it would be nice to recover it. I was in Elder Scrolls Online and there is no way to back track and redo a quest :(.

Thanks!

LuckyBreeze

Reaction score
If still unsolved, I would try Restore.Media online, I recovered my game video recorded with Bandicam with this online tool. You'll need another good playable file though recorded with the same software and same settings, so that they could extract the metadata. Worked just fine for me.

Reactions: JayZippo

Gerald Z

Reaction score
try loading it into movie maker, that seems to save me in times like those. good luck trying to install it if you don't have it though, lol. but, I feel your pain, but MM saved my bacon, or video at least, lol.

Reactions: JayZippo

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If still unsolved, I would try Restore.Media online, I recovered my game video recorded with Bandicam with this online tool. You'll need another good playable file though recorded with the same software and same settings, so that they could extract the metadata. Worked just fine for me.
I will have to try that next time. I made the mistake of using VLC Media player, someone said it recovers corrupted files. That is big fat NOPE. It resaved the file, without me asking and it went from 6GB to 67KB. :(

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Reactions: LuckyBreeze

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
try loading it into movie maker, that seems to save me in times like those. good luck trying to install it if you don't have it though, lol. but, I feel your pain, but MM saved my bacon, or video at least, lol.
I believe I have a copy of MM on one of my ghost drives. I will most definitely give that a shot. Thank you!!