Video Description

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Howdy

It seems that the concept of a video description is very vague. I have been puzzled as to what I should put in my own descriptions for quite some time, and haven't found any concrete information for as to what a description should/shouldn't/can/can't have in it.
I have scoured across a multitude of large YouTubers and still haven't found a consistency in content that I feel confident in the content in my own descriptions.
If anyone can point me to any factual data from YouTube about video descriptions, that would be great. Thanks y'all.

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't know any "factual data" but try to cram as many keywords as possible (like your video title and tags) into the description.

I've created a 4-Step Description Formula for YouTube:

1. Repeat title and brief description.
1.5. any links you mentioned in video.
2. Remind people to like, comment and subscribe.
2.5. link to a channel you may have collabed with
3. Shout out/link social medias.
4. Link the camera gear you used
(could be amazon affiliate links)

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Include the title of your video in your description! It doesn’t have to be in the same order but the same words in the title should also be in the description.

Title: MY HEART WILL GO ON - CELINE DION (REACTION)
DESC: In this video I react to Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On.”

You should also include links to anything you’ve talked about in your video whether that be a link to a product, video, website, or another Youtuber.

Include social media links for yourself and anybody else included in your video if they’re trying to grow as well.

ALWAYS!!!! INCLUDE CREDIT FOR ANY ROYALTY FREE MUSIC YOU’VE USED AT THE END OF THE VIDEO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: darksmokeyt
Reaction score
In my opinion you need to put something in the video description that will make people read it and also will make them wonder what description you have put in your other videos so they go and watch those as well. For example, when I make a drawing tutorial video about something, I put an interesting quote about this thing in the video description. Often people say that they like it and want to read more of those quotes!

akemipie

Reaction score
The first few lines of the description do show up next to your video when people find it through the search bar, so the first thing in your description should be another take on the title or a literal brief description of what's in the video.
Everything else you put in the description box is basically preference, but you should include any links or credits for the video including things specifically mentioned in said video. I have also had people recommend to me to also put a subscription link.
Also a little self promotion is never bad and links to any social media THAT YOU ACTUALLY USE REGULARLY can be included

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The first few lines of the description do show up next to your video when people find it through the search bar,
That. You will have to choose what you want people to first see. You can put your website frontpage, related post if blogging, info on video, ask for something a short info on you, put a car selling ad :p whatever. You will have to decide what fits your needs as depends from a channel to another. As for text after description, i cannot guarantee that it is good practice but i am trying to fill related info from public domain sources as wikipedia or others. Lots of keywords that i would never thought myself... :) Any time with no exception i put source links and always mention whatever used even an one second sfx. Also you might have a copy paste text with some restrictions on use, call to action for subscribing, personal contact info and paypal ,patreon or similar again call to action (never worked for me though hahaha :D )