video copyright BS

Chris J

Reaction score
Website
www.last.fm
So I try to upload a video that I made with clips from season 1 of "The Walking Dead" set to a song by my band. I give full credit in the video that the clips are taken from the show... yet it gets removed from Starz due to copyright. Yet, search for yourself "Walking Dead music videos" and see all that pops up. Lots of people have done the same thing (be it not with their own song) and it's apparently okay to do so. Notably one that was made 3 years ago set to the song Zombie by The Cranberries. Like... yes I'm trying to promote my band's music with the video which is different than someone simply making the video along to their favorite song or something... but STILL. I mean...we're an amateur band that needs all the help it can get to grow and build a fan base... and then this happens. Like p**s off. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

ZaphodX

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Just because someone else does it, doesn't mean it's legal. You can't just use copyrighted content and say 'full credit to xyz'. Those songs stealing the music by the cranberries is claimed by them and has ads which go towards their record label, as you can see below the video title on the right hand side.

Dgamewiz

Gaming Wizard
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Just because someone else does it, doesn't mean it's legal. You can't just use copyrighted content and say 'full credit to xyz'. Those songs stealing the music by the cranberries is claimed by them and has ads which go towards their record label, as you can see below the video title on the right hand side.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Still pretty unfair and sucky. Why aren't all of those other videos (as well as anyone that talks about or reviews Walking Dead) also taken down? Take all down or none at all I say.

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Still pretty unfair and sucky. Why aren't all of those other videos (as well as anyone that talks about or reviews Walking Dead) also taken down? Take all down or none at all I say.
Well, actually you are allowed to use copyrighted work "for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work." So someone reviewing it would be commenting/criticizing the work.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well, actually you are allowed to use copyrighted work "for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work." So someone reviewing it would be commenting/criticizing the work.
aaaaand those get taken down and/or claimed anyway, which is why I stay the hell away from music videos.

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
aaaaand those get taken down and/or claimed anyway, which is why I stay the hell away from music videos.
Well, music's different and a lot more messy. Things like pictures are much more easily categorized as Fair Use.

JohnnyFox

STAY SMOKEY PEOPLE!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The issue is that you used clips from the show, and youtube automatically flagged it since their system is based on a computer algorithm not a person. The reason the rest haven't been taken down is because of some kind of modification they did to the video itself or the computer hasn't seen it. You see a lot of people posting Family Guy episodes with the audio pitch raised or lowered that way the algorithm is tricked into not realizing it.

Chimp

Reaction score
Since when did the Starz network own visuals of The Walking Dead?