Video capturing at a public show

Kale

Reaction score
Recently a friend of mine was recording video using his phone in a shopping mall when there was a function. There were actresses there singing and dancing. He later uploaded his video onto youtube and as soon as his video views reached around 9k, he received a copyright claim from a party and the video was then monetized. Does the organizer (the one claiming copyright I believe) have the right to do so? I mean it was a public show inside a mall and of course anyone has the right to record it right? :help:

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Are you sure it was actually the organizer that claimed the copyright?
At any rate, I think if it is their show they can claim copyright and monetize it - but I'm not certain, so i will wait to see what the people that know more say.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Recently a friend of mine was recording video using his phone in a shopping mall when there was a function. There were actresses there singing and dancing. He later uploaded his video onto youtube and as soon as his video views reached around 9k, he received a copyright claim from a party and the video was then monetized. Does the organizer (the one claiming copyright I believe) have the right to do so? I mean it was a public show inside a mall and of course anyone has the right to record it right? :help:
The right to record for personal use, yes. The right to post to YouTube without first obtaining the right to do so from the organizer, the main agency contract holders of the actresses, and also any record labels they might be under contract to, plus the publicity rights? Big NO.

Kale

Reaction score
Never thought there would be so many restrictions! Thank you very much for the responses! :bounce: