Video backdrop

Hi Tbh,
Re the suggested light for video. Be assured that the lamps mentioned are really strong (and can get hot) and, as your room is small, you should have no problem. I shot two videos this very day using exactly the set-up seen in the photo although not the same camera. No problem at all, a really nice overall soft lighting.

I’ve just looked at a random review of your camera and it seems perfectly adequate for your needs. It would be so easy to say that if only you had this or that camera it would be much better. You have what you have and it will do the job fine. I would mention that the camera is basically for advanced stills, but with the facility for basic video.

One thing the review states is that Operation in video mode is completely automatic, regardless of the shooting mode set on the dial. However, in another review, it did suggest that some adjustments could be made (???). There are pros & cons to it being automatic in that you don’t have to worry (or learn) lots of complicated settings. Just start the camera and go. Another review stated, For creative users, the only downside is that the exposure controls are fully automatic.

There is a point you haven’t mentioned if you are by yourself recording. Your camera doesn’t have a remote control. So you will know, there is no alternative than to start the camera recording then return to your seat and start your project. All the excess footage at the beginning and end can be cut out in the editing stage. Have you got into video editing yet? Another learning curve!

The point you mention about looking at yourself in the monitor screen is with all of us. You just have to be firm with yourself and not do it. Yes, I’m still caught out myself and I’ve been at it for years. You mention your computer monitor. This may well be OK depending on the suitability of the inputs. You will have to check this for your self.

All this is getting quite exciting isn't it?
Pete
Sorry for takibg so long to answer, my new semester at university started.

I have been looking into editing, but I’m not sure what software to use. I need a free one and I’ve tried a few. Any recommendations?

Hi Tbh. Glad to see you back. You queried about whether a single lamp would be sufficient to light yourself sitting, maybe, at a table or similar. What I have done is to make a brief video showing my results using the set-up exactly as shown in the photograph recently posted. This was taken with the small amateur camera as seen, so your camera should give slightly better results I would think. To be honest I have a dimmer on the lamp and usually use it on about 75% brightness. Just to repeat, the video is not meant to be anything apart from an example of the single lamp bounced from behind the camera.

You have mentioned editing. Sadly I have no experience in any of the many free editing programmes so cannot help. (I use Premiere) There are many good folk in these forums who will advise I'm sure. I have a friend who uses AVS and gets on well with it. I think it’s a free programme.

I have tried several times to include a link to the YT video mentioned but when I try to post - an error message comes up. Can anyone tell me the correct way to give a link to a YT video please?

Just as an aside, I had to go onto the web to find out what AFK means. Shows my age that I’m not revealing - except to say that I’m over 3 times your age.

Pete.[DOUBLEPOST=1536178178,1536139721][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi Tbh, I've now discovered that I cannot post any links to a video for you so for you to see it I must think of another way. Sorry. This will give me something to ponder on. Pete[DOUBLEPOST=1536230022][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi Tbh,

Here’s how to see the brief video I made for you. Open YT (of course) and search for “petethegrate” (without the quote marks) and this is my YT channel. The very top (last) upload is called Single Light Example. I have now made it ‘Public’ as it was ‘Unlisted’ before.

Hope all this is worth it. :)

Pete.

Back