Video anxiety

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey everyone~

So I'm about 1,5 month into doing Youtube and the first rush of 'everything is new and awesome!' is over. I'm starting to feel some anxiety about my videos. It worries me that they might be too boring, since some times I just don't have time (or energy) to go somewhere and the vlog ends up just being me talking to a camera.
I'm also not always very comfortable with filming/vlogging outside (especially when there are people around) and then I end up just telling what happened when I'm back in my room, instead of showing it.

I'm scared people are getting bored of seeing me in the same environment over and over again and feel almost forced to plan things every week in an effort to produce content. However, this was never the aim of my channel. I just want to shared what I do every week, which in some weeks might not be that much.

So, how do you guys deal with feeling anxitious about your videos? Do you have any tricks or tips? I'd be very grateful.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I feel in a similar boat. I remember being SOOoooOOo nervous posting my first video. But once I posted it I was like, "Heck yes! Nobody's watching! :D" and posted a ton more...I kind of had a "dance like nobody were watching" mentality, but with videos lol. Then people started to watch, and I got all self-conscious about what I was making...now I'm way too nervous to make music mistakes and cannot post so freely like I used to because I'm scared of too much criticism.. x_x I used to have a "what can I make in a week?" mentality, and posted whatever I had, at whatever stage of completeness by the end of the week. My brain doesn't allow me to post incomplete stuff anymore... =/

But you know...a lot of my viewers actually read my lengthy video descriptions where I talk about how nervous I am to post videos now (lol) and they keep telling me to "stop worrying about what other people think"...and "we want to watch what you make." I'm not completely on board with what they are saying, but I think they are right -- if a viewer likes someone's personality and content, he/she will continue to watch the creator's content. ^^

And filming in your room isn't boring! It's really what people talk about, and how they tell a story, that keeps a video interesting. Including clips about where you went adds something neat, but I don't think it's necessary. I've watched lots of YouTubers tell stories in a room, and I honestly think they can be just as interesting as those who have more footage.

Reactions: Mikes

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
they keep telling me to "stop worrying about what other people think"...and "we want to watch what you make."
It sounds like you have some wonderful subscribers! THank you for sharing your story, I can imagine that there are a lot more people in the same boat. Just post the things that you are happy with and the rest will follow!

And filming in your room isn't boring! It's really what people talk about, and how they tell a story, that keeps a video interesting. Including clips about where you went adds something neat, but I don't think it's necessary. I've watched lots of YouTubers tell stories in a room, and I honestly think they can be just as interesting as those who have more footage.
Thanks for this. Still, it is very hard to imagine people will enjoy seeing me ramble on n.n" I personally don't think I'm that interesting all the time.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for this. Still, it is very hard to imagine people will enjoy seeing me ramble on n.n" I personally don't think I'm that interesting all the time.
I don't see anything special about my music - any professional violinist would say I have very mediocre playing, and I know it lol. I'd imagine I'd feel something similar if I were telling my own personal stories...it's not like I'd be driving a Porsche and going on what I'd consider interesting adventures... =/ But I don't think that's what a lot of people want to watch on YouTube. They aren't going on interesting and lavish adventures, either, and personally, watching someone my age who has so much success can sometimes inspire me, but also sort of make me feel like I failed in life somehow...

Very few people put their work out on the internet, and I think a lot of viewers find some confidence seeing another person say things they can relate to. By you talking about your experiences, and by me playing a lot of beginner-level violin music, we can relate to a lot of people. ^_^ I think that's a good thing! A lot of big YouTubers have made millions of dollars relating to their audience, but I can see a disconnect developing....with fame and fortune, they can no longer relate to their audience.... =/

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I don't think you are boring. ^_^

D_halfrican

I've Got It
Reaction score
I feel the same way when it comes to my vlogs I work two jobs 65+ hrs then trying to find the time plus energy to do videos and market them properly. Look at both of you peoples channels ur Analytics ur building ur channels thru personalities with consistency which (ego speaking here) I wish I had. When tips come into play with my understanding of the algorithm currently something is always better than nothing but I think we can all agree that’s easier said than done.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hey everyone~

So I'm about 1,5 month into doing Youtube and the first rush of 'everything is new and awesome!' is over. I'm starting to feel some anxiety about my videos. It worries me that they might be too boring, since some times I just don't have time (or energy) to go somewhere and the vlog ends up just being me talking to a camera.
I'm also not always very comfortable with filming/vlogging outside (especially when there are people around) and then I end up just telling what happened when I'm back in my room, instead of showing it.

I'm scared people are getting bored of seeing me in the same environment over and over again and feel almost forced to plan things every week in an effort to produce content. However, this was never the aim of my channel. I just want to shared what I do every week, which in some weeks might not be that much.

So, how do you guys deal with feeling anxitious about your videos? Do you have any tricks or tips? I'd be very grateful.
Dealing with anxiety is sometimes the hardest thing for me to conquer personally. If it wasn't for Martial Arts, my physical stress reliever I'd probably have a lot more anxiety attacks. But I tend to get my anxiety from keeping up with the demands of life and being consistent with all of those. From Relationships, Work, Martial Arts, Filming Jobs and Roles (example: Wedding Videos, Movies, etc) and then keeping video content going on my own Youtube channel. Everything in life can make even the simplest of things stressful.

Don't worry about being too "boring" though. =] Ever. Cause you aren't. Our fans come back to hear you talk and see you. It's where they build a relationship with you and your content. They'll probably love us more then we even love ourselves...at times. As long as you love doing what you do then you're doing just fine.

Outside vlogging is tough. I've only done it once and people definitely stared and thought I was weird. But I never cared what they thought because at the end of the day I made it for myself, friends, family and the fans that support my channel and work (granted there isn't many). So just do what you love you do. =] Maybe start outside vlogging in less populated areas perhaps for practice? Like a park or perhaps a daily walk?

Well I hope that helps. :O! Anxiety is a tough subject to tackle. Overall I like to say, "Who cares what anybody thinks about you. Because at the end of the day they aren't paying your bills or living your life." =] So just get out, have fun and do what you want to do (within reason of course). Have a good day! =]

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
By you talking about your experiences, and by me playing a lot of beginner-level violin music, we can relate to a lot of people. ^_^
I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I don't think you are boring. ^_^
I understand what you mean, thank you for the kind words n.n Let's just do what we love and it'll all work out!

Don't worry about being too "boring" though. =] Ever. Cause you aren't. Our fans come back to hear you talk and see you. It's where they build a relationship with you and your content. They'll probably love us more then we even love ourselves...at times. As long as you love doing what you do then you're doing just fine.
Thank you for sharing your story and experiences. I love what you say here, it's what I really want to do! Build a relationship with my audience and just love making videos :)

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
with 60 subscribers (congratulations!) you'd probably get 60 different reasons for what each person likes about your channel. Some may enjoy the outdoor vlogs for the added background interest, others may prefer the indoor vlogs for a less shaky video experience. Vlogs share a bit of dating theory in my opinion, in that... where you are isn't as important as who you're with. Everyone's life has exciting days worth bragging about and boring curl up in a blanket days... it's that range that makes a persons life interesting.

I think feeling anxious about your videos is a good thing. Kind of like a new relationship, you're always anxious in a new relationship, but that angst is also something you kinda like, no?

Maybe try looking at your vlogs as if you were making a video for a guy you're in a new relationship with, he's dying to know everything about you, so film like he's the only one watching...

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think feeling anxious about your videos is a good thing. Kind of like a new relationship, you're always anxious in a new relationship, but that angst is also something you kinda like, no?

Maybe try looking at your vlogs as if you were making a video for a guy you're in a new relationship with, he's dying to know everything about you, so film like he's the only one watching...
Hahaha, this made me laugh! That's really great advise though. I don't want to get caught up the numbers of subs and views (it's so easy to get caught in that). I'm doing this for my friends and family and that is what counts. Thanks for grounding me a bit :)

(also, 60? I'm seeing 56!)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about different environments that I can film my vlogs in for exactly the same reason as you...I want to keep them fresh and prevent them from getting boring.

I'm fairly confident talking to a camera in public, so I filmed a few weeks ago in a park. That was fine while people were walking or cycling past me and ignoring me, but every so often somebody would stop and watch...and I found I would completely forget what I wanted to say. Today I filmed for the third time in the park, and once again somebody stopped to watch, but this time I was almost expecting it so I was able to completely ignore them and remember what I had to say.

So...the moral of this story...is that the more you do something the better you get at it. People are getting more accustomed to seeing vloggers out in public, so if you stick at it you will soon feel less self-conscious.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad