VERY LOW CPM

Skeltano

The Best YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Currently my CPM is at 0.61$, and my play-back CPM, which I think most people refer to as RPM, is 0.90$.

Now this is incredibly low as I know people with their
CPM's ranging from 2 to 12 dollars, or even more at times.
It's weird especially now since it's December, and CPM
is the highest at these times.

Now what I've been thinking, it could've been the fact that I had
around 50-60 sound effect video's that we're all a few seconds short.
So I'm thinking the millions of views on those videos kind of messed up
my CPM.
I've privated all of those videos, and my older content as I'm going into
full overdrive on YouTube and when people search for me I want
them to see my actual content, not SFX.

Now, what's your opinion, is that why my CPM has dropped so low?
Should I give it a month or two for the viewer retention to go up, and
to YouTube basically figure out that I don't have 3-5 second long
videos anymore?
Or do you think it's caused by something else, and there are other
ways of fixing it?

Please let me know.

Nebojsa032

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it can depend on your partner network on Youtube. I am partnered with Freedom.tm, and my CPM is 8.15$ and playback based 11$, lol, that is pretty high, yet i have around 10,500 views :biggrin:

Skeltano

The Best YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well I'm currently with Curse, and I'm sure they have a lot better partners/sponsors than Freedom, I was with Freedom before and I left as soon as I could it was horrible.
I think it might be because of the sound effect videos.

Nebojsa032

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, Freedom is bad for some of my channels i had before, but it is great for this one :D Guess i am lucky.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If you're in a network for not (or what network you with) generally makes no difference. Unless you're getting multiple millions of views monthly, they're feeding you the exact same AdSense ads you'd get if you weren't with them.

CPM changes per video. One video can be very low while another in the same channel could be very high. It's all based on how that individual video is doing.

When you look at your channel's Analytics, it shows the overall average of all of your videos...but you can still select and check each video's own CPM.

Videos under 30 seconds rarely show ads. Videos under 10-12 seconds don't show any. Since you had numerous short sound effects would certainly bring down your channel's overall averaged CPM.

Skeltano

The Best YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're in a network for not (or what network you with) generally makes no difference. Unless you're getting multiple millions of views monthly, they're feeding you the exact same AdSense ads you'd get if you weren't with them.

CPM changes per video. One video can be very low while another in the same channel could be very high. It's all based on how that individual video is doing.

When you look at your channel's Analytics, it shows the overall average of all of your videos...but you can still select and check each video's own CPM.

Videos under 30 seconds rarely show ads. Videos under 10-12 seconds don't show any. Since you had numerous short sound effects would certainly bring down your channel's overall averaged CPM.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, thanks for your input.
I'm gonna give it a while, around a month for the algorithm to sort everything out and see how it'll be then.

Reactions: Shakycow

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Has anyone bothered to look at the OP's channel? In particular, his or her thumbnails? I say nothing further until someone besides me does so.
Good observation...and I think we have the answer.

Reactions: Skeltano

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@Skeltano You're a gamer, yes?

Do yourself a favour. Go to YouTube but don't log in. Turn on Restricted Mode, then try to access your own channel. First look for it on Search, then try to access it directly and tell me what happens when you do that please. I haven't done it myself; but the results of your doing this could add to the big picture of what is behind your low CPM.

Reactions: Skeltano