Very low Audience retention is this normal or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorTheCamp

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
My audience retention is 44% but as I learn it increases - cuts are acceptable but I try to limit them, say a few lines of script between cuts maybe? and yeah it'll be hard to keep viewers interested for so long - I keep my videos less than 3 minutes recently

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am asking this because i write a script for most of my videos and i cut out the bits when i look down to read the script.
You need to memorize your script. It needs to flow naturally from you if you want to be believable.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You need to memorize your script. It needs to flow naturally from you if you want to be believable.

And yes i go over and read my script couple times to memorize and to flow naturally before i flim my video, i try to memorize as much i can.

DutchMash

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Can't really judge since my videos are 3 minutes on average. My retention is 86%. Might have anything to do with the length of your vids.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

DBA

I've Got It
Reaction score
Have you looked at your traffic sources? Is your Average view duration for the External websites much lower than everything else? If not than I seriously doubt that Twitter is your problem. You can also click on the External Websites and specifically see twitter.

upload_2014-12-28_17-56-11.png

16BitsOfAwesome

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer
Alright @BillyVlogsTV, I watched a couple of your videos. I'll reiterate some of the other things people said, but with reason.

Video length. I was at a Youtube event recently, where a few bigger YouTubers came to give advice. One of them suggested to keep your videos under 3 minutes (which I thought was crazy). So, I usually aim for 4 minutes lol. That will help the retention rate. I remember clicking one of your videos and was turned off that it was like 9 minutes. Don't worry, I watched all of it. :)

Content. I know that you cut out when you look down at your paper, but that causes a lot of jump cuts. A few jump cuts are okay, but a lot are a bit annoying. A jump cut is, in my opinion, best in between two sentences and not just to get rid of gaps of time (unless the gaps are really long). You don't have to cut out every short gap of time. Look at youtube vloggers like iJustine, Grace Helbig, Toby Turner's "Trapped in a ..." vlog series, MyHarto, etc. They all have a pretty good balance of jump cuts in their videos.

In the same vein, try not to look down to the script so much. I'm not saying to ditch the script. I use a script for a lot of my videos. But try to say a good chuck of it, like a senctence or two, without looking down. And if you can't manage that, don't be afraid of recording multiple takes. Sometimes, it takes me a couple of takes before not having to rely on a script. Though, honestly, I prefer not having a script, but just a piece of paper with a bunch of short bullet points to refer to. Having a full script, though friggin' lovely, can also act as a crutch as well.

All of that aside, you are doing a bang up job. Keep it up!

JammyWam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks! I will do not do as many jump cuts in my videos anymore and see if it improves my Audience retention. :)

Hopefully...[DOUBLEPOST=1419771165,1419770983][/DOUBLEPOST]I update this thread in a month or so see if it improved or not.[DOUBLEPOST=1419798481][/DOUBLEPOST]

I just rewatched some of my my videos in the 1st 20 seconds.

@markkaz @clerick you 2 said you could not watch my Christmas video and my other videos for more then 20 seconds because of multiple cuts in the 1st 20 seconds.

I want to ask you Why should i not jump cut as much in my videos?

I am asking this because i write a script for most of my videos and i cut out the bits when i look down to read the script.
And i don't want those bits where i look down to read the script in the video or ran out of things to say in the video because it will be boring.

As @IsntChrisL and @nad Said Maybe my videos are a bit too long that is causing my Audience Retention to be very low but anyway i will try not to jump cut as much in my future videos and make my videos shorter to like 3 to 6 minutes MAX!
Read your script and memories what you want to say before making the video which will allow the videos would be a lot smoother. At the moment it seems you're doing a cut after every word and my eyes just can't focus on the video so try reading a few sentences without using a cut (that's my opinion anyway). Look at Emma Blackberry she is a good example for when to use them correctly. Hopefully you take everyone responses as constructive feedback and will help you make improvements as a creator. Wish you well.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
13% is quite low. I get around 30% which I would like to increase.
Do you use 'clickbair' thumbnails/subjects?

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It has already been said but 13% is pretty low...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Read your script and memories what you want to say before making the video which will allow the videos would be a lot smoother. At the moment it seems you're doing a cut after every word and my eyes just can't focus on the video so try reading a few sentences without using a cut (that's my opinion anyway). Look at Emma Blackberry she is a good example for when to use them correctly. Hopefully you take everyone responses as constructive feedback and will help you make improvements as a creator. Wish you well.

@JammyWam

This thread is from 2014. Please don't bump very old threads - It is likely that some of the people are no longer active here and it is very confusing for those who are. ^^

Tip: You can see when a member was last online by clicking on their username above their avatar.

Feel free to start a new thread discussing this topic or reply to a more recent existing thread (less than 2 months old is recommended.)

Status
Not open for further replies.