Very low Audience retention is this normal or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just checked my Audience Retention on Youtube analytics and and i just found out it is only 13% in the last 28 days...

My videos are around from 3 to 10 minutes and the Average view duration
is 1:03 minutes.

I think the reason it is very low compared to other Youtubers because MOST likey that i follow lots of people/followers of Small and Big Youtubers(Marcus Butler, PointlessBlog, OllieWhiteTV, More) and people with the same interest(Youtube) and i get a lot of followers every day and every time i get a new follower on Twitter they get a Auto DM saying Thanks for the follow, check out my Youtube channel(or my new video in another DM).

Especially with the other DM telling them to check out my new video when they go to check my new video out before hand they won't KNOW what my new video will be because i don't tell them in the DM because of limited twitter DM characters you can put.

But at the same time i am getting lots more views and subscribers on my Youtube Channel then ever before than over a month ago as i started the Auto DM(telling to check out my Youtube channel or new video) to new followers on Twitter over a month ago! :)

Can someone tell me is this normal because of the auto DM to my new followers telling them to check out my channel or new video(with them not knowing what my new video will be) on Twitter.

Should i be worried about this???

Last edited:

IsntChrisL

Easily Distracted
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think that shorter videos tend to lead to longer retention. It's not a rule, but it tends to be what happens the majority of the time.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Anyone else?[DOUBLEPOST=1419683170,1419643126][/DOUBLEPOST]Can someone please tell me is this good or bad!

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
13% is pretty low! There are many vlogers that make 4-7 minutes videos and people actually watch it, but those are very good, funny and popular ones.
I wouldn't sit down and watch you talking into the camera for 7 minutes. So maybe try sticking with less than 3 minutes videos.

I personally had the last 30 days a retention rate of 56% and 1:43.

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So maybe try sticking with less than 3 minutes videos.
Yes i know that would be great to make my vlogs 3-5 minutes long all the time Sometimes i can't make videos that short under 3 minutes sometimes it is IMPOSSIBLE to fit all good content that you recorded in the video just like my last 3 videos they are 7/10 minutes long, honestly i wanted to make them a bit more shorter to more like 3-5 min range but i could not make those 3 videos any shorter because you will be editing the things out that you want in your video.

I would like to make videos that are 3/5 minutes long like most Youtubers that does vlogs that would be great to be honest. :)

But how to make my vlogs shorter to like 3-5 minutes long all the time with out editing out the things that you want in the video?

Last edited:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be honest, I watched your Christmas video and in the first 20 seconds, you had 10 cuts. I watched a second one and in 10 seconds, you had multiple cuts.

This is not tolerable for me and as your audience retention indicates, most people don't like it either.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be honest, I watched your Christmas video and in the first 20 seconds, you had 10 cuts. I watched a second one and in 10 seconds, you had multiple cuts.

This is not tolerable for me and as your audience retention indicates, most people don't like it either.
Ok well i did not know it is bad for viewers, I think you are right so are you telling me not to jump cut as much in my videos.?

Because i always edit out the "breathers" and even very short pauses out of my videos(especially in my last 3 videos) as much as possible to make the video shorter.

Is this the reason that i have very low audience retention?

Should i not do jump cuts as much in my videos then?

@markkaz

Last edited:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm glad that you are taking it as constructive criticism. I would not snip out every pause. It makes the presentation too unnatural. I do not know if that is the only reason for your low audience retention. I was not able to watch more than 20 seconds. Use this as a guide for your next few videos.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Ok well i did not know it is bad for viewers, I think you are right so are you telling me not to jump cut as much in my videos.?

Because i always edit out the "breathers" and even very short pauses out of my videos(especially in my last 3 videos) as much as possible to make the video shorter.

Is this the reason that i have very low audience retention?

Should i not do jump cuts as much in my videos then?

@markkaz
I cant watch your video for longer than 20 seconds. The jump cuts drive me mad.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm glad that you are taking it as constructive criticism. I would not snip out every pause. It makes the presentation too unnatural. I do not know if that is the only reason for your low audience retention. I was not able to watch more than 20 seconds. Use this as a guide for your next few videos.

Thanks! I will do not do as many jump cuts in my videos anymore and see if it improves my Audience retention. :)

Hopefully...[DOUBLEPOST=1419771165,1419770983][/DOUBLEPOST]I update this thread in a month or so see if it improved or not.[DOUBLEPOST=1419798481][/DOUBLEPOST]

I just rewatched some of my my videos in the 1st 20 seconds.

@markkaz @clerick you 2 said you could not watch my Christmas video and my other videos for more then 20 seconds because of multiple cuts in the 1st 20 seconds.

I want to ask you Why should i not jump cut as much in my videos?

I am asking this because i write a script for most of my videos and i cut out the bits when i look down to read the script.
And i don't want those bits where i look down to read the script in the video or ran out of things to say in the video because it will be boring.

As @IsntChrisL and @nad Said Maybe my videos are a bit too long that is causing my Audience Retention to be very low but anyway i will try not to jump cut as much in my future videos and make my videos shorter to like 3 to 6 minutes MAX!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.