Very disappointed with Pewdiepie and his comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Its one thing to do chores. Chores teach work ethic and discipline, they're a healthy element of growing up. It's another thing to parade them around on the internet for ad revenue. You're right, of course its not slavery, that's absurd. What it is, is unhealthy in my view.
Point taken. Chores are quite different, but I was addressing the posters outrage that parents should "force" their kids to work.
Going back to the original point of this thread, I don't think it is up to PewdiePie or any one of us to sit in judgement and criticise a family for having fun together and making money out of it. Each parent knows their own child's personality and is best suited to decide if it is appropriate or not to put them on youtube. Personally I would have loved it as a kid - but we're all different.

Pluto

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think it is up to PewdiePie or any one of us to sit in judgement and criticise a family for having fun together and making money out of it.
On the one hand, I see where youre coming from and respect that. On the other, when one uploads any form of creative media they open themselves up willingly to criticism. It is the nature of being a creative person, you have to expect and accept critics because that is the nature of what you do. Pewds is in no place to judge their parenting skills, but he has every right to judge their content, he would know.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
On the one hand, I see where youre coming from and respect that. On the other, when one uploads any form of creative media they open themselves up willingly to criticism. It is the nature of being a creative person, you have to expect and accept critics because that is the nature of what you do. Pewds is in no place to judge their parenting skills, but he has every right to judge their content, he would know.
I think in this case though, he really inst judging the content..

Ryan ToysReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Here's our side of the story. Of course you can disagree and I'm not here to change anyone's mind. Everyone have their own opinion and I respect that. My son was watching other kids on YouTube for a while then asked me why he's not making fun videos like other kids. He even watch Nick Jr and Disney and ask why other kids are on there and he's not. So I decided it could be a fun project for us to spend time together and bond over. We started making videos for 2 months just for fun, I didn't even know you can make money! Then when I did find out, I thought how cool would it be to just make enough just pay back the money spend on toys! I honest was just hoping to break even so we can continue to do this fun hobby together. Never once did it cross my mind that I was exploiting my son for money like everyone is claiming. He truly enjoys this and always have input to what types of videos or toys he wants to play with. He still ask to make videos everyday. If he wasn't having fun, I have no problem quitting today! When the views suddenly went up out of no where and I realized I'm making more on YouTube then my current job, I thought long and hard what was the right decision for our family. I was a teacher and I was spending crazy hours working during the evening and during the weekend on grading papers, planning, calling parents, clubs sponsored events. I felt that I didn't spend enough time with him as I like too. I had Ryan right out of college and we didn't have much. Everything that he own before YouTube was borrowed and used. All his toys and clothes came from goodwill or pass down from friends and family. YouTube gave us this amazing opportunity to provide for him, move to a better school district, safer neighborhood, and we get to spend more time together as family. We max out my children college funds, we're been planning with lawyers on the best way to give them money for their future. We can't just save money in a bank because it was loss value over time. We also don't want to give him all as once because I'm afraid he doesn't know how to spend money wisely yet.We are investing on properties and stocks...etc The point is, he's well protected financially and if we do our job correcting, he will be getting way more than what's he's earning from YouTube once he's an adult. I wish people just didn't assume I'm a horrible mom without knowing our side of the story. Calling me names that's I don't care because in my heart I know I'm doing right for my family. If YouTube didn't happen, Being on teacher salary, there's no way we could save up enough to send our three kids to college without student loans and aids. As for the hatchanimals thing, we were NOT sponsored by WalMart or else we would of mention it. I was just curious to see the difference with the exclusive version vs the regular on....PewDiePie is smart and knows what to say and do to get views/attention. He did mention he doesn't know us personally but Everyone still just took his words that we're botting and forcing my son to make videos for money and that he will NOT get any of it! We don't have an army of supporters like him. No matter what I say, people will think he's right even thou he doesn't even know us and never spoke to us before. Yes we are getting lots of hate comments/reports/mean emails...and it's also hurting our views on current videos. I don't even mind the attack saying I'm forcing him because I know in my heart it's not true. However it hurts even more when people attack my son personally saying he's a retard and should die..etc...that's uncalled for. Thanks for all that support us and understand what we been through...

Last edited:

Action Toys Fun

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yes we are getting lots of hate comments/reports/mean emails...and it's also hurting our views on current videos. I don't even mind the attack saying I'm forcing him because I know in my heart it's not true. However it hurts even more when people attack my son personally saying he's a retard and should die..etc...that's uncalled for.

Very sorry to hear that. Those kinds of comments are uncalled for! I'd suggest filtering and only showing approved comments, but with your volume of views I know you would have a huge job on you hands just handling comments!

Last edited:

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
it hurts even more when people attacky son personally saying he's a retard and should die..etc...that's uncalled for.
I'm truly sorry to hear the level of hatred that has been aimed towards you and your family. I had no idea it was that bad.
From what I can see, the vast majority of people support what you have done and admire you for it. Unfortunately great success often comes at a price, and the very technology that has allowed you to gain financial security and spend time with your son has also brought you in contact with some pretty despicable people.
I hope you don't let such hateful comments get to you, keep doing what you're doing. It's great!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Disagree lol
Here's our side of the story. Of course you can disagree and I'm not here to change anyone's mind. Everyone have their own opinion and I respect that. My son was watching other kids on YouTube for a while then asked me why he's not making fun videos like other kids. He even watch Nick Jr and Disney and ask why other kids are on there and he's not. So I decided it could be a fun project for us to spend time together and bond over. We started making videos for 2 months just for fun, I didn't even know you can make money! Then when I did find out, I thought how cool would it be to just make enough just pay back the money spend on toys! I honest was just hoping to break even so we can continue to do this fun hobby together. Never once did it cross my mind that I was exploiting my son for money like everyone is claiming. He truly enjoys this and always have input to what types of videos or toys he wants to play with. He still ask to make videos everyday. If he wasn't having fun, I have no problem quitting today! When the views suddenly went up out of no where and I realized I'm making more on YouTube then my current job, I thought long and hard what was the right decision for our family. I was a teacher and I was spending crazy hours working during the evening and during the weekend on grading papers, planning, calling parents, clubs sponsored events. I felt that I didn't spend enough time with him as I like too. I had Ryan right out of college and we didn't have much. Everything that he own before YouTube was borrowed and used. All his toys and clothes came from goodwill or pass down from friends and family. YouTube gave us this amazing opportunity to provide for him, move to a better school district, safer neighborhood, and we get to spend more time together as family. We max out my children college funds, we're been planning with lawyers on the best way to give them money for their future. We can't just save money in a bank because it was loss value over time. We also don't want to give him all as once because I'm afraid he doesn't know how to spend money wisely yet.We are investing on properties and stocks...etc The point is, he's well protected financially and if we do our job correcting, he will be getting way more than what's he's earning from YouTube once he's an adult. I wish people just didn't assume I'm a horrible mom without knowing our side of the story. Calling me names that's I don't care because in my heart I know I'm doing right for my family. If YouTube didn't happen, Being on teacher salary, there's no way we could save up enough to sent our three kids to college without student loans and aids. As for the hatchanimals thing, we were NOT sponsored by WalMart or else we would of mention it. I was just curious to see the difference with the exclusive version vs the regular on....PewDiePie is smart and knows what to say and do to get views/attention. He did mention he doesn't know us personally but Everyone still just took his words that we're botting and forcing my son to make videos for money and that he will NOT get any of it! We don't have an army of supporters like him. No matter what I say, people will think he's right even thou he doesn't even know us and never spoke to us before. Yes we are getting lots of hate comments/reports/mean emails...and it's also hurting our views on current videos. I don't even mind the attack saying I'm forcing him because I know in my heart it's not true. However it hurts even more when people attack my son personally saying he's a retard and should die..etc...that's uncalled for. Thanks for all that support us and understand what we been through...
I'm so sorry.. I read this to my husband and cried.. I can't imagine.. We still support you!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Here's our side of the story. Of course you can disagree and I'm not here to change anyone's mind. Everyone have their own opinion and I respect that. My son was watching other kids on YouTube for a while then asked me why he's not making fun videos like other kids. He even watch Nick Jr and Disney and ask why other kids are on there and he's not. So I decided it could be a fun project for us to spend time together and bond over. We started making videos for 2 months just for fun, I didn't even know you can make money! Then when I did find out, I thought how cool would it be to just make enough just pay back the money spend on toys! I honest was just hoping to break even so we can continue to do this fun hobby together. Never once did it cross my mind that I was exploiting my son for money like everyone is claiming. He truly enjoys this and always have input to what types of videos or toys he wants to play with. He still ask to make videos everyday. If he wasn't having fun, I have no problem quitting today! When the views suddenly went up out of no where and I realized I'm making more on YouTube then my current job, I thought long and hard what was the right decision for our family. I was a teacher and I was spending crazy hours working during the evening and during the weekend on grading papers, planning, calling parents, clubs sponsored events. I felt that I didn't spend enough time with him as I like too. I had Ryan right out of college and we didn't have much. Everything that he own before YouTube was borrowed and used. All his toys and clothes came from goodwill or pass down from friends and family. YouTube gave us this amazing opportunity to provide for him, move to a better school district, safer neighborhood, and we get to spend more time together as family. We max out my children college funds, we're been planning with lawyers on the best way to give them money for their future. We can't just save money in a bank because it was loss value over time. We also don't want to give him all as once because I'm afraid he doesn't know how to spend money wisely yet.We are investing on properties and stocks...etc The point is, he's well protected financially and if we do our job correcting, he will be getting way more than what's he's earning from YouTube once he's an adult. I wish people just didn't assume I'm a horrible mom without knowing our side of the story. Calling me names that's I don't care because in my heart I know I'm doing right for my family. If YouTube didn't happen, Being on teacher salary, there's no way we could save up enough to send our three kids to college without student loans and aids. As for the hatchanimals thing, we were NOT sponsored by WalMart or else we would of mention it. I was just curious to see the difference with the exclusive version vs the regular on....PewDiePie is smart and knows what to say and do to get views/attention. He did mention he doesn't know us personally but Everyone still just took his words that we're botting and forcing my son to make videos for money and that he will NOT get any of it! We don't have an army of supporters like him. No matter what I say, people will think he's right even thou he doesn't even know us and never spoke to us before. Yes we are getting lots of hate comments/reports/mean emails...and it's also hurting our views on current videos. I don't even mind the attack saying I'm forcing him because I know in my heart it's not true. However it hurts even more when people attack my son personally saying he's a retard and should die..etc...that's uncalled for. Thanks for all that support us and understand what we been through...
I think I can speak for most people in saying that we support you. You are doing what you feel is best for you and your family, and people have no right to judge you and call your son names like that. I know its hard but try to ignore the hate as much as you can and enjoy what you're doing. All the best to you and your family x

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
First of all, some of the replies in this thread have been very targeted and accusatory. YTtalk is a friendly place, so please keep all criticism discussion with a professional tone.

I was sad to see that article. :( I also thought it was ironic that Pewdiepie criticized the media for missing what "obviously was going on" with the "purchasing of views" claim because of the lack of comments -- and yet he completely overlooked the fact that many of the kids who watch those channels usually cannot type on a keyboard yet.

About child labor....I think there's a difference between kids getting their scalp ripped off and killed in a textile mills and underground mines because of poor child labor laws, vs. kids making a fun video with their parents. It was discovered long ago that children are not "miniature adults," and therefore cannot work in the same environments as adults work. Playing with toys is not the same environment that most adults work in, but it's an environment that kids often play in. I don't see the connection between "playing with toys" and "child labor." If my parents could make money by letting me play with toys, they'd jump on that boat as faster than you could ever imagine! lol

And besides, there is a sense of "kids need to help the family." I grew up in a very rural area with lots of homesteads, farms, and ranches. Tons of kids are driving tractors on the family homestead, or helping their parents pull feathers out the slaughtered chickens for dinner. My parents made my brother and I do a lot of housework. My brother and I took turns cleaning the bathroom, mopping the kitchen floor, vacuuming the main area, etc. It wasn't fun, and we weren't paid, but in no way was it the same as "having a job" and working as a child laborer.

I'd think that "learning how to make videos" or "learning how to speak to a camera" is on par with all the children who learn how to play musical instruments at a young age. It's a talent that can be practiced and rehearsed and used in the future when they become an adult with a career. Parents can earn money from it in the meantime (and honestly, I believe the parents are putting in the most work to make these toy channels successful), but it will later become a developed skill that will benefit the child more than the parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.