Verifying Royalty Free Music

Nate Roberts

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So I have been creating videos and I am not sure if I want to monetize them. But on the chance that I do, I wanted to use royalty free music. So I have been using SoundCloud under the royalty free section, but after I post the video YouTube says the music has been copyrighted. So far it has only muted the audio in one of my videos and I changed the song the others just remained copyrighted, but does anyone know of a way that I can verify if the music is royalty free before I upload?

TheMix

I've Got It
Reaction score
the only way i could think of is having another channel to upload to making sure the video doesn't get copyrighted. If you don't get copyrighted you can delete the video and then upload on your main channel. It's a pretty tedious process but it can save you from getting copyright strikes

Reactions: Nate Roberts

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Just make sure any Royalty Free music you use in the "Creative Commons" license. That way you can use the music in any commericial and non-commercial use and be fine. As long as you're not selling the music the artist gives you full access in just about every way.

I wouldn't monetize any video with royalty free music before checking the license for the song(s) first. Just because the video avoids the content ID system doesn't make it okay. Better to play it safe then to take risks on stuff you're not 100% sure about.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Even more simple...

Be willing to actually invest in your channel by paying to license Royalty Free Music from a Stock Audio provider. If you do this, even if you receive a Content ID claim ("Copyrighting" is something which happens when you register a copyright; not what happens when you receive a CID claim or a Copyright strike), you can link the license and actual source clip in your dispute; and the claimant will not only not have a legal leg to stand on, but will be seen by YouTube as an abuser of the Content ID system if they make a habit of targeting RF Media.

Enough false claims and and strikes, and such a Claimant will be kicked out of the Content ID system altogether.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me I dont risk it as I have seen many big youtubers use 'third party' royalty free music only for that priviledge to be taken away later on.
YTs own music database is huge (and seems to grow daily) and I always find something there and I know will be risk free.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
For me I dont risk it as I have seen many big youtubers use 'third party' royalty free music only for that priviledge to be taken away later on.
YTs own music database is huge (and seems to grow daily) and I always find something there and I know will be risk free.
Please excuse me; but how can someone lose the right to license independent Royalty Free Music? This "privilege removal" you speak of is something which can only happen if said music is MCN provided, and I have never used the RF content facility of a multi-channel network. Were I to use RF music, I would use a trusted independent provider such as Clipcanvas, Audioblocks, Pond5 or Shockwave Sound.

In other words you are still speaking of music which doesn't need a payment to license. I am speaking of music which does require payment to license, and your rights in such music can never be taken away unless you violate the terms of your license.