Using Youtube to Overcome Shyness

StraightUpIrish

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Even after nearly 3 years I still get really shy XD never shown my face, probably never will and a lot of videos I can be very nerve sounding :p thats just me though XD

Reactions: DidiCreates

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont know about any of you.. but i haven't told anyone about this and what im doing (friends/family/facebook).. as much as id like the support, i also feel super self concious about THEM watching me and judging me.
I'm right there with you!

DidiCreates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Before YouTube.. and my current job.. i was that shy guy, the one who kept to himself, who couldn't talk to people or know how to engage in a conversation.. But im slowly coming out of my shell and YouTube is helping me tremendously.. I was always a thinker, just had thoughts that just made sense to me, and eventually i wanted to share those thoughts.. because i was shy, i couldn't really share that with anyone. YouTube is a way of helping me do that.. but im super self conscious about youtube in general... I dont know about any of you.. but i haven't told anyone about this and what im doing (friends/family/facebook).. as much as id like the support, i also feel super self concious about THEM watching me and judging me.
Oh you're not alone! I know what you mean. It can be easier to take a hit from a stranger than from someone close to you. I haven't shown anyone close to me yet, but I plan to. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1483959214,1483959040][/DOUBLEPOST]
Even after nearly 3 years I still get really shy XD never shown my face, probably never will and a lot of videos I can be very nerve sounding :p thats just me though XD
C'mon. Let's see that beautiful face. Jk :D haha well, makes you stand out

Last edited:

ImJustJoshinYa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh you're not alone! I know what you mean. It can be easier to take a hit from a stranger than from someone close to you. I haven't shown anyone close to me yet, but I plan to. :)

thats spot on.. its so much easier taking critiscm from a complete stranger, someone you dont know.. because in the end, they dont mean as much to you as your family does..

ShuriBear

Reaction score
I am going to be completely honest. I had a few channels before this one. The first channel all the way back in 2008 I did it for the views. But I quit that because it didn't gave me any satisfaction. A few channels later (after a large break) I started this one. This time with a good motive to start a channel, just to show people how much I enjoy playing with my friends. :)

About your issue. Yes, I think it can help you make less shy. You will learn over time to talk more smooth and I also think it can help you to speak better in public (like a presentation) as well.

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
That is literally the reason why I started doing my videos. Just a month ago, the best I could do was to imitate other people on camera. I could not say one word of mine to my camera. The first two weeks were just frustrating. I'd stand alone, in my room, trying to say something to my camera, but my throat got really tight, and I'd stutter in every other word.
During the first few weeks, I'd record myself around 1 hour, and maybe get 1 or 2 minutes of useful video.
Yesterday I just turned my camera on and talked to it for 40 minutes without any script. And almost all of it was good enough material. The hard part was actually choosing what to put in the video.
Seeing myself coming this far in just one month is ridiculously satisfying.

Dice Rollen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can 100% understand where you're coming from. I use to be very shy & quiet in my videos because being in front of the camera & talking to an unknown amount of people was rather anxiety provoking.

I've gotten a lot better about that since I started. I think sometimes to best way to feel more comfort in your videos is to just keep making them. Do little steps at a time to improve your confidence. You may even want to make "practice" videos, you don't even have to upload these videos. They're just so you can become more comfortable.