Using Youtube to Overcome Shyness

AntoNeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube has been a great way for me to start breaking out of my comfort zone. I was painfully shy when I was younger, I couldn't talk to anyone I didn't know. It's helped me become more confident about putting myself out there. Vlogging in public was easily and still is the most difficult part for me. Now I just feel the fear and do it anyway. It always feels great when I do something that I was kind of afraid of doing. In the end, I realize that it was never a big deal to begin with.
Did you do take any steps to get the courage to start vlogging in public? I try but always end up getting in my head and put my camera down lol

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Did you do take any steps to get the courage to start vlogging in public? I try but always end up getting in my head and put my camera down lol
It's taken months, but I've kinda just worked up to it slowly over time. I had to get comfortable talking to the camera by myself first. When I use to try and vlog in public, I would get so worked up in my head that I would just panic and not do it. The first time I did it, I was in the airport on my way to my flight. Just pulled out my camera and started talking, took the shots I wanted and of course it was fine. Gotten easier since then.

The most difficult yet was last week. I made a vlog in the city close to where I live. Kinda just it as a challenge for myself. I will say, I did get a few weird looks walking around a city talking to my camera. It was all good though. Glad I did it.

Reactions: AntoNeo and Sabrina

DidiCreates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started Youtube because I was shy and want to expand my comfort zone...I still struggle with it (I have only 6 videos) but an interesting thing is that the only video I get likes and comments constantly is the one in which I talk about my social anxiety lol
lol That's actually not surprising. I think quite a few struggle with anxiety :)[DOUBLEPOST=1483243559,1483243335][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is certainly the same case for me! Sometimes I catch myself speaking very quietly either because I'm not very confident that what I'm saying doesn't sound silly, or I'm scared someone in my flat might overhear me. I haven't told anyone I know about my channel because I am so self conscious. Before youtube I had never shared anything I wrote with anyone and now that I have a safe place and platform to do it I have improved so much! Im glad you found this to be the same with you! Good luck with your channel!
Thanks!

Reactions: AntoNeo

AntoNeo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's taken months, but I've kinda just worked up to it slowly over time. I had to get comfortable talking to the camera by myself first. When I use to try and vlog in public, I would get so worked up in my head that I would just panic and not do it. The first time I did it, I was in the airport on my way to my flight. Just pulled out my camera and started talking, took the shots I wanted and of course it was fine. Gotten easier since then.

The most difficult yet was last week. I made a vlog in the city close to where I live. Kinda just it as a challenge for myself. I will say, I did get a few weird looks walking around a city talking to my camera. It was all good though. Glad I did it.
I liked your vlog man, just subbed. You're my vlogging in public hero lol

lol That's actually not surprising. I think quite a few struggle with anxiety :)[DOUBLEPOST=1483243559,1483243335][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks!
Yeah that's true...I thought I was special lol jk jk

haley&connor

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
We started YouTube as a creativity outlet, but it has definitely helped with other things such as more confident in speaking and showing lots of expression when talking as well! I admire your reasons for starting a channel and wish you the best!

DidiCreates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I liked your vlog man, just subbed. You're my vlogging in public hero lol

Yeah that's true...I thought I was special lol jk jk
lol. Think of it as having company :p[DOUBLEPOST=1483360579,1483360528][/DOUBLEPOST]
We started YouTube as a creativity outlet, but it has definitely helped with other things such as more confident in speaking and showing lots of expression when talking as well! I admire your reasons for starting a channel and wish you the best!
Thank you! I definitely need to improve in those areas haha

Reactions: AntoNeo

alex miller

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
im with you im always shy when it comes to putting my voice out there idk why, im not good with a big group of people but just think of it as all those people love what your doing and they look up to you as guidance so they can start what they want to do to

Reactions: DidiCreates

ImJustJoshinYa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Before YouTube.. and my current job.. i was that shy guy, the one who kept to himself, who couldn't talk to people or know how to engage in a conversation.. But im slowly coming out of my shell and YouTube is helping me tremendously.. I was always a thinker, just had thoughts that just made sense to me, and eventually i wanted to share those thoughts.. because i was shy, i couldn't really share that with anyone. YouTube is a way of helping me do that.. but im super self conscious about youtube in general... I dont know about any of you.. but i haven't told anyone about this and what im doing (friends/family/facebook).. as much as id like the support, i also feel super self concious about THEM watching me and judging me.