Using Youtube to Overcome Shyness

DidiCreates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys!
As you can probably tell by the title, I can be a pretty shy person. I've had quite a few moments where I'd start up my channel, then quit immediately, all because the thought of having a large number of people watch me felt way too intense. However, I thought YouTube would be a good way to share my talents and get myself out there.
Tell me, why did you start YouTube? Has anyone ever had a similar experience? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AntoNeo

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was shy and didnt put myself in front of the camera for at least the first 2 years. I only ever had my hands showing / or over my shoulder.
My first video is awful. I stumble over my words / get things wrong / visably shaking knowing that potentially hundreds/thousands of people could watch it.
That video now over 100k views with mostly negative comments / 70% dislikes... But I strived to improve. I got better. I got more confident.
Keep at it and it will become easier.

Reactions: DidiCreates

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had been working in Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park for a number of years and I had always been someone who enjoyed documenting and telling the story of my travels and experiences with pictures. I had definitely built up a nice stock of photos of Kokanee through the years. Then I had an opportunity to get a SD video camera for free using reward points I had built up on my credit card. I thought it would be a cool next step. To capture what I saw up there with video. Maybe do occasional vlogs from up in the mountains. I already had a Youtube channel which I had previously just used to make some slideshows of my photography. Getting the video camera made me much more active on Youtube. I started filming anything I saw in nature during those times, and I continue to this day. And I finally upgraded around a year and a half ago to a HD camera. Wish I had done that sooner!

Bumpy200

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started it so i could have something to do and i fing playing games and making videos fun. It also helps me be more "socially active" since I am actually really shy!!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started it because my oldest thought it would be fun, I also thought it would be and I was also was hoping to make an extra income with it. My husband works 60 hours a week so I thought if I could make a little money he could be home more :) Maybe one day![DOUBLEPOST=1483098678,1483098640][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started it so i could have something to do and i fing playing games and making videos fun. It also helps me be more "socially active" since I am actually really shy!!
I too was actually really shy! Haha

Bumpy200

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
cool[DOUBLEPOST=1483098996,1483098957][/DOUBLEPOST]cool

DidiCreates

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was shy and didnt put myself in front of the camera for at least the first 2 years. I only ever had my hands showing / or over my shoulder.
My first video is awful. I stumble over my words / get things wrong / visably shaking knowing that potentially hundreds/thousands of people could watch it.
That video now over 100k views with mostly negative comments / 70% dislikes... But I strived to improve. I got better. I got more confident.
Keep at it and it will become easier.
Wow! Thanks. That makes it seem a lot more doable for me, though my shyness is a bit more internal and less visible. I'm sorry about those comments. That must have been difficult, but great job.

LizetteGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I really like playing video games, and I don't get a chance to talk about them very much, so nattering on to a mic for a few hours and trying to make it entertaining for others seemed like a fun thing to do.

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I always liked watching gaming channels on youtube. Especially the funny ones. I didnt care if the people were good i just loved to watch and listen to their banter. So i played games with my friends every friday night and we would have a few (10) drinks and start having what i thought was funny banter. One day it clicked and i was like "If these guys can do it why cant i." I have also always loved editing videos. When i was a teen i would skateboard all the time and film it and make montages of me skate boarding, or of me and my friend recreating jackass stuff. Now i still love editing and gaming, and im making videos off of it. But having a community behind me even makes it more worth it.

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm not a very shy person, and actually took a public speaking course in college and it really helped me out with any fear of public speaking. What youtube has really helped me out with is speaking clearer. I used to mumble a lot and speak really fast. Now when I record videos i make sure to speak slower and clearer. This has translated to real life when i am making sales calls or doing other work related things. I try to pronounce my words a lot better and clearer.

Reactions: DidiCreates