Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Using video game footage you didn't personally record

Discussion in 'Copyright, Claims, Strikes & Legal Discussion' started by Gary Hobbesworth, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    I'm wondering about what the rules are if you want to use gameplay footage, maybe while you're talking about something or whatever. I've seen lots of channels do this, but I'm wondering if there's a big difference if the footage isn't something you recorded yourself. I can't afford a $100+ capture card right now, and obviously I wouldn't want to record off of my phone.

What if you use footage that a publisher has publicly released? Is that okay if you at least give credit to them, stating what the game is and who owns the rights? And by "okay," I mean what other gaming channels are able to do without facing take downs. I'm not sure if it would make a difference depending on how long the clips are, or if you have to specifically be talking about the game you're showing.

I'm also wondering if I could just record off of my computer though. I don't have the best PC for gaming, but I think it should be able to at least handle any indie hit of the month, since stuff like Minecraft don't seem particularly demanding on resources

I don't know if any of this stuff would fall under fair use since I've no idea how it applies to gaming, so I appreciate any input.

2. Conso1727
    Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
    Cash:
    $1,952
    There are places like World Of Longplays that upload full gameplay of various games for pretty much public use, I believe you can use it, given you publicly credit the website and the person who longplayed it. I'd ask first though, and it applies pretty much to all kinds of gameplay footage from other channels, asking is free after all.

Gary Hobbesworth likes this.
  3. Gary Hobbesworth
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $122
    Thanks, I've heard about that channel, didn't know it was a big website too. It's weird though, because I know that channel Feminist Frequency has been pretty contentious among a lot of people because of claims that they stole Let's Play footage for their videos. I just checked, and I noticed that the channel's still up. If the claims of stolen footage are true, you would think they'd get flagged to oblivion, unless stolen Let's Play footage isn't considered a big since it's taken from people who don't own the copyright to the games. Not that I would do it even if YouTube doesn't mind.

And Italy has a video game museum? s**t, I wish I knew about that during my study abroad.

4. Conso1727
    Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
    Cash:
    $1,952
    Depends where you were and how long ago, the museum is small, in an hard of reach place and it opened just 5 years ago. But if you ever stop by again, you are welcome to visit us!

5. Gaijillionaire
    I've got a yen for being in Japan!
    Cash:
    $187
    Just go with longplays. But almost everyone says in description that it can or cannot be used. Honestly unless it’s something super rare extreme and crazy in a game and the channel is super duper famous, no one will ever know what you took. But don’t just take. Ask!

Gary Hobbesworth likes this.