Using Twitter to benefit Youtube!

Matt Dean

How can Twitter help you gain views and build a loyal following?

Well, quite easily actually, but it will take a lot of work on YOUR behalf, The way to get results through the utilization of twitter is known as Twitter Marketing.

Note: This method of marketing will work for almost anything, including a blog, subscription list, community website.

What I will cover in this article includes :

• What is Twitter and why do I need it
  • How do I gain Followers
  • Best Practices to keep my new followers ENGAGED
  • How to I convert Followers into Youtube subscriptions and views
What is Twitter and why do I need it?

I won’t patronize you and explain what Twitter is, because quite frankly if you don’t know then this guide is NOT for you. However I will explain the importance of a twitter account with regards to your Youtube efforts.

If you are serious about Youtube or any entertainment platform for that matter then you need a way to connect with your TARGET AUDIENCE, Facebook is good at this but limits how many people actually get to see your updates, due to their new ‘Promote’ feature.

With twitter you can potentially share your content with THOUSANDS of people with just ONE update, mad right?

How do I gain Followers and how do I keep them engaged?

Like any twitter account when you first start you will need to let people know you exist, start by following a few people within your niche, in this example we are looking at Youtube so do a little search in the twitter search bar for ‘Youtubers’. You will find a lot of cool people to follow and chances are they may even follow back.

VOILA! Some followers, that was easy, right?

Now at first you can only follow the same amount of followers you have.

For example you shouldnt follow 500 people if you have 200. Twitter will see it as aggressive following and will probably suspend your account. The key is to go slow until you hit 2,000 followers. Unfollow those not following back and engaging with those that do.

How do I convert new followers into subscribers and views?

The key when tweeting is not to spam … find your niche that will keep your followers engaged with you. Maybe you like Glee and like to tweet about it, then that is what you should tweet about more than anything. Its sort of like playing on the niche, but if you are actually passionate about the subject it will shine through.

I personally send a DM to every new follower I get with a link to my channel, Make sure not to spam it though, one message is enough.

When Tweeting, try to only promote your stuff at certain times of the day, i.e when your followers are most active. Try not to have too many tweets on your timeline just promoting your stuff. at the end of the day, you are marketing YOURSELF above your Youtube channel and people will want to see what you have to say.

Whenever you get a mention, be sure to answer it. You don’t want your followers to feel ignored, after all, they are the reason you are making videos right?

I like this method of marketing as it actually builds a relationship between you and the viewer. Best practices for a small youtuber are always to answer comments and actively ENGAGE and start CONVERSATION with the viewers this sparks interest and provokes them to actually WANT to find out more about you.

Now this method isn’t easy, it takes a lot of work on your behalf but if you are willing to put in the time and effort you will see results.

I hope you learned something!

Last edited:
Nice read, I actually stopped using twitter a while age but I may go back to it now with a fresh account for my channel :D.

nice article, i tried using twitter but didn't use it properly, I will follow youtubers as suggested and see if that brings a change.

Great post! I'm another one who rarely uses twitter but am starting to get more into it now. So much about gaining recgonition starts with invloving yourself in the community it seems.

Awesome guide dude! I registered for a Twitter for my YouTube account after reading this. The problem I'm having is looking for people to follow. When I search of "vlogger," I only get results from very popular people that probably won't ever follow me back, or some unrelated tweet. It's really difficult finding people with similar content as me. Any tips?

Great advice. Using Twitter is how I was able to gain more subscribers and it led to a lot of collaboration with other podcasters. The most important tip is to show your passion for whatever niche you are in.

Back