using other youtubers b-roll footage?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a tech youtubers just starting out. I want to do a video (not a review, just my thoughts on the product) about a new product, I want to use a lot of b-roll, but I'm unable to get the device. I was wondering about using other youtubers b-roll footage of the product. I've seen a lot of people do this, I was wondering if there's anything I'd need to do before doing this, and if I'm aloud to do it at all.

ABlockerLemming

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
England, United Kingdom (Previously Australia :D)
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Hi Joe,

I see no reason that you wouldn't be able to use some of their footage providing that you've contacted them and asked if you can have their permission (In writing) to use the video footage. They may request that they're credited for the footage or have some other request along those lines but that's not out of the ordinary.

If they say no, hopefully you can find someone else that has footage just as good, if not better that will say yes to letting you use it.

Hope this helped but it is just my view, others may think differently.

CommMatt

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Legally you need their permission, otherwise, they could sue for plagiarism.
If you are not able to receive permission (they won't reply), then give a lot of credit, don't monetize it, and keep asking. However, if you do decide to not ask permission and just give credit and not monetize, still ask for permission, AND suggest to take down the video if they want.

Hope I helped!

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're going to use material that isn't yours, you need to contact the proper right's holder and get permission. Before you do that, you may want to fix the typo in your YouTube banner.

Reaction score
If you're going to use material that isn't yours, you need to contact the proper right's holder and get permission. Before you do that, you may want to fix the typo in your YouTube banner.
Thanks for the tips, and thanks for pointing out the banner, i've sorted it :)

Reactions: markkaz

Jennifer Mulkerrin

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If they created it, no you can't just take it due to copyright. Of course you can ask like they said and try to get permission.