Using other peoples videos and uploading it

Hoviking

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What are the rules for this? Can I upload small sequences of another youtubers video on my channel, like if someone has a really good 15 seconds in their video, that I want to take out and upload it for itself?

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I would look at rules as what constitutes as fair use, like if you're doing a review or a parody on their work. But in general, don't use other people's work unless they give you permission.

This video is about 2 years old, but I still think it's good. Search "3 Rules to Avoid Violating Fair Use on YouTube" by Tim Schmoyer

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would just ask whoever uploaded the original video if you can use it and what you're using it for :)

mr.jacks

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
usually the best way to go about it is asking permission however if your doing a parody or something that adds to the original content usually that can be seen as fair use all tho fair use is a big grey area.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You should ask permission just to be safe, but if you use it in your own creation, i'm quite certain that it would count as fair use.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Unless you're willing to risk a copyright strike or possibly going to court, get (written) permission first.

Note that only a court can decide if your usage constitutes as fair use or not.

entrepreneur

Reaction score
it really is a gray area there, but depends on the usage, if you are doing a review or voice over it then it probably will fall under fair use