Using Instagram to promote your YouTube Channel

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
A lot of the posts here are asking what channels have found to be effective in promoting a YT channel or video.

Instagram was recommended to me recently by a marketing expert, so I decided to try it out.

Three days before Christmas I got the chance to film a video, and some of the recording included a helicopter shoot. I joined the helicopter and took some raw footage, which I then posted on twitter, facebook, and instagram. I used text along the lines of "coming soon to a youtube channel near you" to try to build anticipation for the finished video, that should be ready for posting this time next week.

Twitter had a very limited response, facebook was a little better, but the video gained almost 20,000 views overnight on instagram. Not bad considering my instagram account is quite new and has less than 100 followers (or I should say HAD less than 100 followers).

I'm planning to post more short raw footage excerpts of the video over the next few days until the finished video is ready for publishing on youtube. I'll then produce a short version of it for instagram, and use an end tile that reads "to see the full video check out (my youtube channel URL)".

I'm not sure if this early success has just been a fluke, or indeed if viewers of the shortened instagram video will want to "check out" the finished version on my youtube channel. It will be an interesting experiment though, and I'll let you know how it works out!

Oh...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYBODY!!!!!

Reactions: WiseCore

WiseCore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A lot of the posts here are asking what channels have found to be effective in promoting a YT channel or video.

Instagram was recommended to me recently by a marketing expert, so I decided to try it out.

Three days before Christmas I got the chance to film a video, and some of the recording included a helicopter shoot. I joined the helicopter and took some raw footage, which I then posted on twitter, facebook, and instagram. I used text along the lines of "coming soon to a youtube channel near you" to try to build anticipation for the finished video, that should be ready for posting this time next week.

Twitter had a very limited response, facebook was a little better, but the video gained almost 20,000 views overnight on instagram. Not bad considering my instagram account is quite new and has less than 100 followers (or I should say HAD less than 100 followers).

I'm planning to post more short raw footage excerpts of the video over the next few days until the finished video is ready for publishing on youtube. I'll then produce a short version of it for instagram, and use an end tile that reads "to see the full video check out (my youtube channel URL)".

I'm not sure if this early success has just been a fluke, or indeed if viewers of the shortened instagram video will want to "check out" the finished version on my youtube channel. It will be an interesting experiment though, and I'll let you know how it works out!

Oh...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYBODY!!!!!
Did you use some specific hashtags to promote your post on instagram ?

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Hi WiseCore, YES! Very specific tags. In the case of this video I hashtagged the manufacturer of the boat and also the designer. The manufacturer picked up on the hashtag and then shared the video ( I did not know that was even possible on Instagram...you live and learn). Half of the views were from their Instagram account, and they credited me with the video. I also hashtagged "youtube", "youtubechannel", and this has attracted a few followers who are also youtubers.

I would imagine that this would work for almost any kind of youtube channel, whether the hashtags are "#grandtheftauto", "#kidstoys", or "#cuddlykitten".

Reactions: WiseCore

WiseCore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi WiseCore, YES! Very specific tags. In the case of this video I hashtagged the manufacturer of the boat and also the designer. The manufacturer picked up on the hashtag and then shared the video ( I did not know that was even possible on Instagram...you live and learn). Half of the views were from their Instagram account, and they credited me with the video. I also hashtagged "youtube", "youtubechannel", and this has attracted a few followers who are also youtubers.

I would imagine that this would work for almost any kind of youtube channel, whether the hashtags are "#grandtheftauto", "#kidstoys", or "#cuddlykitten".
That's interesting, maybe I'll try it too :)

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
Instagram is good for vloggers tbh. I have an instagram but I plan to remake one more for my channel name

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I can't imagine gaming being too popular on Instagram. Anyone have any experience in this department?

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I should try to use Instagram more often, I haven't used a snip of a video yet, only pictures so far. So we'll see :D