Using external harddrive for recording

DATgaminginc

Loves YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, I got an external harddrive 1 TB for Christmas and it seems I can't record my videos on it to reduce the lag while recording. I want to use on pc. Could someone explain it to me or isn't it possible?

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am guessing you are recording either gameplay footage or tutorial stuff on a computer. So how much RAM is on that computer you are recording on? What type of processor does it have? How are you connecting your hard drive to the computer (USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Firewire, etc.)? If you are recording something that involves an internet connection, what is your Upload and Download speed?

DATgaminginc

Loves YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Uhh, I'm not into computers so I don't know any specifications. Is there any way to see what's inside my pc? I think it's connected with USB 3.0. And no internet involved.

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It has been so long since I used a PC. Which version of Windows do you have?

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
"Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties. In the System section, you can see the Processor and the amount of RAM you have."

DefyTalk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It seems fine. You could put more RAM which might help but more of the processor is going to be an issue. I don't know if you have a quad-core or dual-core processor. But to try to save you money, lower the quality of your game specs, then try the same game specs but at a lower quality of resolution you are recording. Like if you are recording at 1080P, record at 720P instead. Try those two options and see if those help out.