Using couple of seconds of movies okay?

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I use a couple of seconds of movies that I find from other YouTube uploads in my videos. And I always use them as reference in my description. Is it okay to monetize those videos? Even without monetization, could I get warning or suspended?

Thanks in advance!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Technically, no, since you don't have the right to use the clips, unless you can argue fair-use..
The question is, will you get caught/flagged.. and that, I'm not sure about - so I will be watching to see what those that know more than me say about it.

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Technically, no, since you don't have the right to use the clips, unless you can argue fair-use..
The question is, will you get caught/flagged.. and that, I'm not sure about - so I will be watching to see what those that know more than me say about it.
So most likely to be able to argue is to have a partnership? About being flagged, I was owning the enemy team the other day on CS:GO and one of the players got so mad he said he would report all my videos for copyright usage. I have my YouTube channel on my profile. Should stuff like this worry me as well?

Thanks for responding by the way

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
So most likely to be able to argue is to have a partnership?
I have no idea what this means.

...one of the players got so mad he said he would report all my videos for copyright usage. I have my YouTube channel on my profile. Should stuff like this worry me as well?
My guess is that anyone that petty is probably not smart enough to report anything, but any time you are violating YouTube's rules by posting copyrighted material that the content owner does not want posted, you should be worried.
But unless you are blatantly reposting stuff, if ContentID hasnt found it yet, or if the content-owner doesnt mind, it's probably not that big of a deal.

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have no idea what this means.
I just thought being able to argue with youtube over fair use might be easier when you have a partnership.

But I use clips from movies like Terminator 2 and Kill Bill. And those are copyrighted by big name companies.

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I use a couple of seconds of movies that I find from other YouTube uploads in my videos. And I always use them as reference in my description. Is it okay to monetize those videos? Even without monetization, could I get warning or suspended?

Thanks in advance!
Depends on the context in which you use those clips. Copyright laws are extremely complicated and if someone really doesn't want you to use heir material even though you may be well within your legal right doesn't mean they can't file a claim against you, or file a law suit against you.

I do a news satire show in which I "borrow" clips from tv shows / movies to illustrate a point. I am able to monetize my videos but that doesn't mean I don't run the risk of ever being flagged. Make sense?

Reactions: Ragic Gaming

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the context in which you use those clips. Copyright laws are extremely complicated and if someone really doesn't want you to use heir material even though you may be well within your legal right doesn't mean they can't file a claim against you, or file a law suit against you.

I do a news satire show in which I "borrow" clips from tv shows / movies to illustrate a point. I am able to monetize my videos but that doesn't mean I don't run the risk of ever being flagged. Make sense?
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for explaining.
In other words, the bigger you get the more haters you are gonna get.
And the more haters you have, the higher chance of someone reporting you.

So someone like RayWilliamJohnson who used to upload top viral videos. Do you think he contact the creators or just had a special contract?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Copyright is copyright. If you use 1 second or whole movie/song etc. Its 'illegal'
BUT I use/watch copyrighted material and it seems to pass through the YouTubes filter and is monetised.
I read in the past of a magical 'up to' 15 seconds use is acceptable? If you are only using a small clip / not trying to rip it off / claim as your own and credit the original source then you 'should' be ok.

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for explaining.
In other words, the bigger you get the more haters you are gonna get.
And the more haters you have, the higher chance of someone reporting you.

So someone like RayWilliamJohnson who used to upload top viral videos. Do you think he contact the creators or just had a special contract?
Ray may have contacted them out of courtesy, if he was given permission he wouldn't have to worry about a copyright strike as he had written proof of consent. However his channel was a review channel and therefore fell under the guise of fair-use.

Like I said, fair use is a legal loophole to using content that doesn't belong to you. It doesn't mean someone won't make a claim against you and it doesn't mean you will win the claim either. It all depends.