Using copyrighted music purposely

YAOG

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello.

So I've decided to open my livestreams with the song Jane from Jefferson Starship. Love that song. I knew I would get a copyright notice and that they would monetize it, and that's exactly what happened (it's happened 3 times now). My question is, will continually using this song to open livestreams give me any problems down the road? I mean, it's pretty perfect. If I actually wanted to license that song outside of Youtube it would cost me a ton of money, but since it's in Youtube's song directory with the policy of "If you use this song, you cannot monetize your video" and the video will be viewable worldwide, I'm doing nothing wrong and can continue using it, right? I mean, it says right there in the audio section of the creator studio "Have different music in your video? Check its copyright policies".

My livestreams don't get a ton of views, but I do have nights where I get a lot of superchats, so I don't really care about the small amount of ad revenue I might be losing.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Technically you are still infringing their copyright, but it’s kind of like they are giving permission for anyone to use it under certain conditions. However, they could change their policy at any time. And even if they don’t, they’d still have a case to sue someone for using it.

Most likely case is you’d be fine, though, I’d say.

Reactions: XXLRay

Shyam Sharma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello.

So I've decided to open my livestreams with the song Jane from Jefferson Starship. Love that song. I knew I would get a copyright notice and that they would monetize it, and that's exactly what happened (it's happened 3 times now). My question is, will continually using this song to open livestreams give me any problems down the road? I mean, it's pretty perfect. If I actually wanted to license that song outside of Youtube it would cost me a ton of money, but since it's in Youtube's song directory with the policy of "If you use this song, you cannot monetize your video" and the video will be viewable worldwide, I'm doing nothing wrong and can continue using it, right? I mean, it says right there in the audio section of the creator studio "Have different music in your video? Check its copyright policies".

My livestreams don't get a ton of views, but I do have nights where I get a lot of superchats, so I don't really care about the small amount of ad revenue I might be losing.
B:rother maybe ....it is not a good idea to copy someone else's music. It is much better to make up your own no?

YAOG

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
it is not a good idea to copy someone else's music.
Youtube literally tells you you can, though. The song is listed in their catalog and there is a link that says "Using someone else's music? Check out their copyright policies". If it weren't allowed, you would think they would say "Using someone else's music? DON'T! DO NOT USE SOMEONE ELSE'S MUSIC!!!" Or something similar lol. These recording companies obviously have contracts in place that allow them to monetize usage of their videos. I'm not using it in regular videos, just as an intro for livestreams. For regular videos I make my own music...I do covers, actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1507432864,1507432687][/DOUBLEPOST]
However, they could change their policy at any time.
That doesn't matter much. The livestreams get unlisted immediately. If I thought it was a problem I would just delete the livestreams right after they happen.

This brings me to another question that I'll pose in another thread at some point. What about having a livestream radio show where I DJ and play actual songs while commenting between, just like a radio DJ. Now, I don't really plan on doing this, but if someone did the research, came up with a playlist, checked the copyright policy of each song, they could theoretically play actual songs and treat it like a radio station. I wonder if anyone is doing this right now?

Reactions: Shyam Sharma