Using copyrighted music and sharing revenue

So I got really sick of using crappy instrumental electronic music in my videos, so I used the song "Sound of Silence" in my latest video just cuz copyrighted music sounds so much better. I got a copyright claim as expected, but it allowed me to monetize the video still as long as I share the revenue. Not that I'm making much money from these videos as of now, but I'm wondering if its okay to use copyrighted music if the claimant agrees to share the revenue with you. I'd much rather lose a few bucks and make higher quality content with better music than to have to resort to crappy Royalty Free Music.

So I got really sick of using crappy instrumental electronic music in my videos, so I used the song "Sound of Silence" in my latest video just cuz copyrighted music sounds so much better. I got a copyright claim as expected, but it allowed me to monetize the video still as long as I share the revenue. Not that I'm making much money from these videos as of now, but I'm wondering if its okay to use copyrighted music if the claimant agrees to share the revenue with you. I'd much rather lose a few bucks and make higher quality content with better music than to have to resort to crappy Royalty Free Music.
that sounds cool. I used a few songs my buddies made and they have this service that automatically does a copyright claim on the songs. Before that they let me use the songs and monetize myself. I haven't seen how shared revenue works yet. I think they are getting any rev from the videos with their songs right now.

I suppose if you're okay with using copyrighted music then that's mainly up to you. Not all song owners will be as nice to share revenue though so it's something to really watch out for.

For me I'd rather not get used to using copyrighted music again. It took a long time for me to find other sources that gave me the quality I want for my work. Especially since there are so many ways to get music these days. From paying for licenses on royalty free sites that offer more then electronic music, from paying a music composer to compose music for you or finding a local band to write you an agreement for using their work. Options are endless for content creators and we really are quite lucky.

I wouldn't even touch copyrighted music no matter how good it was. I'm just too damn paranoid for a start, plus I don't want to get into trouble later on. I use a small selective artists from soundcloud that give express permission to use their music. Even then I take screen shots of the permissions just in case! Haha. They are super good artists though and have always followed their credit requirements.

not trying to do a shamless plug here, but we only upload copyright free music on our channel and i personally wont post anything unless i think its pretty solid. we focus on the chillstep genre and many of the artists on our channel are quite good. Sappheiros, BXDN, to name a few...

bottom line, you can find good music that is royalty free, you just gotta search for it. Good luck!

Unless YOU are the cover musician who covered the copyrighted song in question, it is NOT appropriate from a legal perspective for you to be sharing the revenue.

The revenue sharing option is for cover songs -- that is covers by other artists of a particular song. It's supposed to recognize the work that the cover artist put in to make their own recording of the song, so the money should be split between the original composer and the cover artist.

Back