Using clips of copyright music - safe length?

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I want to use a 20sec sample and loop it from a song for short background music.

I watch alot of music reaction videos and it seems that they stop or break up the music ever 20-25 seconds to avoid the copyright claim. Does anyone know how long the clip can be before it triggers the automatic claim?

I have about 80-100 copyright claims from my concert videos, they do not mean much EXCEPT the artist gets the monetization instead of you, as they should.

Thoughts?

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally wouldn’t do it, but if you’re not afraid of receiving a strike than it’s up to you.

Reactions: Steverd

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally wouldn’t do it, but if you’re not afraid of receiving a strike than it’s up to you.
Thank you for the reply Courtney,
You don't get strikes over music you get copyright claims, which is different. I have about 80-100 live music/concert videos I've taken, they almost always get the copyright claim, so I am no stranger to Claims, as I said in the OP, the money goes to the artist.
I can do test posting one of my private youtube channels and upload different lengths, but I figure someone here already knows. I think 19 sec might be the safe point.

ALTHOUGH, as Courtney states, maybe I should just find different music..

Last edited:

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
they do not mean much EXCEPT the artist gets the monetization instead of you, as they should
guess it's fine by me, they should get any possible profit from their music, so I don;t mind.
The tricky part is that anytime they can change their mind / policies and mute or exclde
your video from whole countries for copyright or profit reasons I guess.

As a sample in a video i have chopped ..."Chop Suey" (System of a down) not into samples
but literally the song supported a constant narration. I calculated to be claimed but bever was,
same in another video using 2 Cellos ending of "shape of my heart" covered by narration
and sfx never claimed. So a possible reason not to be claimed was the mix of the songs
with other voices or sfx although I do not think it was fair for the creators just to mention
"includes copyrighted content "song / artist" etc.

ALTHOUGH, as Courtney states, maybe I should just find different music..
no, some songs are made for a specific picture and vice versa :)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I make sure that all of my videos have copyright free/copyright paid music, but a few years ago the production company I used "slipped in" about ten seconds of music without paying for the copyright.

It took a while, but eventually the section of music was found and my video was demonetised. I tried to retroactively pay for the copyright, but the company that owned it never replied to emails.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the copyright discussion forum. :) I don't think there is any "safe length" for using copyrighted music. The CID bot can detect things pretty quickly and easily put a claim on the video. If the original artist discovers the video, they too can add a claim. The original creator of the song should be paid for their work to be used in other videos, so it's a good thing that videos are claimed. You'd probably want your song to be claimed if you were the artist behind the song. :eek:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
0 seconds is safe. But I have heard of people using up to 15 seconds and 'getting away with it' but with regular changes to the bots/algo etc you might get 'caught' in the future.