WilBajamas

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey there everyone, its been awhile since I've made a thread here but here goes.
So I've been researching Youtube SEO for a week or two and I came across a topic called "Backlinks", I did some research on it and it is actually putting some of your video links on other website (small small links that connects to your video) and if you use Backlinks, Youtube will rank your video higher because it sees that your video is going viral...

Has anyone of you guys here did Backlinks for your videos, I don't really know how to do it but I've been interested in this topic for a few days now...
Hope some of you will reply to me and help out others who are interested in this topic as well...thanks a bunch for reading this and I'll see you guys next time, CIAO~~

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Alright, backlinks are like SEO 101 almost. It's one of the most basic topics of SEO and came from the website SEO realm, people carried it over to YouTube assuming search engines index sites the same way which we have no way to confirm, but can assume it does help and work.

Backlinks are, like you mentioned, links on a site that go back to your main link. So if I wrote an article on IndieDB about a game I reviewed, then linked my video, that is a link going back to my video (backlink).

Social media - Sharing your video here is a backlink.
Articles/Blogs - Sharing your link here, like your own blog for example, is a backlink.
Comments - Commenting on blogs, websites, articles, here on YTTalk forums, other forums, etc with your link (or in my case I have like my channel in my sig, most comments for websites let you add a signature you can add our link to). This is all backlinkking.

People refer to PR of a backlink. This refers to Page Rank of a site you posted your link onto. Higher page rank means that back link is worth more.

Google indexes, that is updates its search results (we assume YouTube does this the same way) starting at PR1 (top result) and going down. The sites that have updates frequently get indexed more often as google knows that its constantly changing and needs to constantly update it.

The idea is the more backlinks on the web, the more important that link must be since so many places are talking about it. Does it work for videos, maybe, we don't know, we will never know unless YouTube tells us their algorithm, but we can assume it does work.

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
This seems like a really useful thing to know about. Thanks for introducing me to it, WillBajamas! :)

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It surprises me that anyone who has even considered the idea of SEO has no idea what back links are. They are seriously a 101 thing.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Is there a difference between calling it a backlink vs. just a link? People use the word link all the time. Practically nobody ever uses the word backlink.

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Is there a difference between calling it a backlink vs. just a link? People use the word link all the time. Practically nobody ever uses the word backlink.
Not really, but backlink is specifically used when discussing SEO and improving page rank.

Link is more like "here let me show you, here's a link."

Same thing

WilBajamas

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This seems like a really useful thing to know about. Thanks for introducing me to it, WillBajamas! :)
no prob, just here to help out man[DOUBLEPOST=1456071286,1456071249][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not really, but backlink is specifically used when discussing SEO and improving page rank.

Link is more like "here let me show you, here's a link."

Same thing
but I've heard some say that backlinks don't work on Youtube, it only helps your video rank on google search, not youtube search...

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
no prob, just here to help out man[DOUBLEPOST=1456071286,1456071249][/DOUBLEPOST]
but I've heard some say that backlinks don't work on Youtube, it only helps your video rank on google search, not youtube search...
And no one will be able to prove that to you whether it works or not. YouTube's search algorithm is not something publicly known. People try things out and say what they think works and what doesn't, but we aren't sure what actually does work. Unless you work on YouTube on that specific area, you won't know.

We also don't know if they work for Google Search. People have assumed so as websites that have more backlinks rank better, but does that mean that if you have 1000 backlinks and my site has 1 backlink you will out rank me? Nope. It's all part of their algorithms.

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel like blacklines would only work in certain situations or certain points in the video because black bars on the top and bottom makes me feel like somethings about to happen or something should happen and black bars on the sides makes me feel like its a poorly rendered video :p

I say use them but only in certain situations/moments in your videos.

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel like blacklines would only work in certain situations or certain points in the video because black bars on the top and bottom makes me feel like somethings about to happen or something should happen and black bars on the sides makes me feel like its a poorly rendered video :p

I say use them but only in certain situations/moments in your videos.
Read the topic again...this is not BLACK links.....its BACK links. =)