Use iOS/android as Microphone?

hoobagames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, I have been trying to record gaming videos and posting them on youtube. There are quite a lot of comments that my built in microphone in my computer is terrible. However, due to personal reason i cannot actually purchase a mic yet. I am wondering if I can connect my iphone or my android tablet as a microphone because they record much better audio quality than my built in computer mic.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I dont know of any way that you can connect your iPhone and use it as a mic (no idea about your Android)..
But you dont need to -
Just use your favorite audio recording app (like the free one that comes with IOS), use your phone as a mic while recording, then import that audio file into your editing software. Sync it up and boom! Better sounding videos!

hoobagames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont know of any way that you can connect your iPhone and use it as a mic (no idea about your Android)..
But you dont need to -
Just use your favorite audio recording app (like the free one that comes with IOS), use your phone as a mic while recording, then import that audio file into your editing software. Sync it up and boom! Better sounding videos!
I have thought about it. Sync video and sound with software is definitely doable, just extra work. i just thought maybe there are some apps and software that can make this happen, the app world is so big god knows what actually had been created. So I wanted to explore if this option is available before i move on to other methods.

GaminGit

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, I have been trying to record gaming videos and posting them on youtube. There are quite a lot of comments that my built in microphone in my computer is terrible. However, due to personal reason i cannot actually purchase a mic yet. I am wondering if I can connect my iphone or my android tablet as a microphone because they record much better audio quality than my built in computer mic.
Actually, I heard that using the 'hands-free' earphones/mic that comes with your iphone to record your voice to the voice recorder app - Is a pretty good way to go. You would then just download your voice recording to your PC to use in your video.

I might actually try this and see what its like...

joannavlogs

Love always wins
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
The microphones in phones are perfectly fine if you can't afford a microphone. As others have said make sure you import it into an audio editor to make sure everything is ok and make sure it's synced properly to the video!

Scott14

Reaction score
I am new here but I had somewhat of the same experience. I bought a PM10 microphone from eBay, $9.99 and then shipping was $4.00. I plug this into my iPhone 6 and record my audio. I use the 3 clap method at the beginning of my videos and audio recordings, this allows me to sync them up in iMovie. The cheap mic is amazing for the price, and has made a huge difference in my audio. Yes I have to sync my phone to iTunes on my iMac, but it takes a couple minutes from start to finish and my audio is greatly improved. Once the camera and my phone are synched, I import them both into iMovie and put them together looking at the wave form. It is super simple and works great. I hope this helps.