Use copyrighted images in your thumbnail?

Hanne Verleysen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi everyone!

For a new video I wanted to make a thumbnail with a few covers from different music albums (a bit like this thumbnail from Elise Ecklund)

Now I was wondering, is it possible to get a copyright strike for this? Or do thumbnails not count?

Hanne Verleysen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yes you can get a copyright strike for that. YouTube recently updated its guidelines so that even thumbnails are strike-liable. Don't do what you've planned; or not only might you get a strike, but be demonetized if your channel is already a partner channel.
Well then I guess I will have to look for a different idea for my thumbnail...
Thanks for the advice!! Much appreciated :)

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Creators in the kids/family/toys genre use toy company trademarked images A LOT! Most companies let it go considering they are getting free promotion.

I rarely use them for the same reason. They are already getting enough free promotion from me, I don't need to give them even more by putting their copyrighted/trademarked images/logos in the thumbnail.

How that is different for you is that artists are more protective of their work.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Thumbnails can definitely get copyright strikes. I know this because I have filed copyright strikes against channels who have used my thumbnails on their videos and I won the claims every time. It comes down to your tolerance for risk I suppose. If you don't want to take any risks, then don't do it. :)