Urgent Question

MoAli

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
On YouTube now, I have the option to 'Monetize videos with ads', but I don't have an Adsense account now and I havent applied for monetization. So if i put ads now, can I collect the revenue AFTER i join? or does it not make revenue? Would really appreciate an answer. thanks.

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
On YouTube now, I have the option to 'Monetize videos with ads', but I don't have an Adsense account now and I havent applied for monetization. So if i put ads now, can I collect the revenue AFTER i join? or does it not make revenue? Would really appreciate an answer. thanks.
You earn nothing until you are approved for monetization.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
You don't put ads on your videos yourself; Adsense does.

So if you don't have an Adsense account, you won't even be allowed to apply to the YPP. I don't understand how you could have a Monetization feature which says "Monetize videos with ads" if you haven't applied to the YPP. Please give us a screen shot of what you see at the following links in your Creator Studio...

https://www.youtube.com/features

https://www.youtube.com/account_monetization

Addendum: You have no videos showing! No videos, no possibility of joining the YPP, as you have no media to monetize in the first place.

You need 1000 subscribers, and 4000 hours of watch time in the past 365 days before you can be reviewed for monetization eligibility. Your channel is only 35 days old, has no videos uploaded as yet so no watch time at all, and only 21 subscribers.

You need to at least upload some content before you start thinking of making money.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can’t add ads unless you have Adsense account, you wouldn’t even have the option to monetize your videos without an Adsense account. You need at 1,000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours before you can apply for an Adsense account.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You can’t add ads unless you have Adsense account, you wouldn’t even have the option to monetize your videos without an Adsense account. You need at 1,000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours before you can apply for an Adsense account.
No; that is incorrect.

You can apply for an Adsense account at any time. You need the 1000 subs and 4000 hours to apply for membership in the YouTube Partner Programme.

MoAli

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No; that is incorrect.

You can apply for an Adsense account at any time. You need the 1000 subs and 4000 hours to apply for membership in the YouTube Partner Programme.
when i go to upload defaults, it says i can tick 'monetize with ads'. (i havent started my channel properly yet)... so theres no point of ticking this box until i'm approved to earn money?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Correct. Unless you have been approved for the Partner Programme, ticking that box will do absolutely nothing. That may well be a leftover from the days where one could monetize as soon as one accepted the Partner Programme terms; before the compliance review and minimum subs/watch time requirements existed.

Until you have some videos on your channel, setting up to apply to the YPP makes no sense.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Correct. Unless you have been approved for the Partner Programme, ticking that box will do absolutely nothing. That may well be a leftover from the days where one could monetize as soon as one accepted the Partner Programme terms; before the compliance review and minimum subs/watch time requirements existed.

Until you have some videos on your channel, setting up to apply to the YPP makes no sense.
Don’t you need 4,000 watch hours and 1k subscribers to get approved for montization?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Don’t you need 4,000 watch hours and 1k subscribers to get approved for montization?
Yes; but you don't need it to either set up Adsense, or to begin the application process.

YouTube will simply not review your channel for rules and policy compliance until you have 1000 subs and 4000 hours watch time in the past 365 days.

What a lot of people aren't getting is this: Simply reaching that subscriber and watch time threshold is not a guarantee that your channel will be accepted to the YPP and monetized by YouTube.

Too many people are thinking: "I've reached the requirements for monetization! I'll be monetized in a day or two..." when they have a channel full of non-monetizable content.

Reactions: Courtney Candice