Uploading Too Much?

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I often talk about uploading once a day, but I've started a few playthroughs of various games and now have a backlog of videos to edit (roughly 25). I don't really get too many views per video, but I don't want to stay so backed up with content. I'm actually thinking of doing 2 uploads a day for a while to catch up. Anyone try that and get hurt by it (or more frequency in general)? At times it seems like burying your own videos hurts, but then again, I've also noticed it having no effect. What do y'all think?

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
That sounds like a lot to me.
It's good to have a backup, because then you always have something to release. But twice a day seems like overkill.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That sounds like a lot to me.
It's good to have a backup, because then you always have something to release. But twice a day seems like overkill.
Yeah, it also just feels wasteful when each video can't even get to 10 views. But it's been said that having more videos helps you get indexed better or something. I dunno. Lots to think about lol.

I'll probably just do daily again, regardless of views because I already have 6 videos (not counting one scheduled for today) on stand by and countless others waiting. This way I won't stay backed up, but will never quite catch up.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
I would upload 2 a day. The sooner your videos are up, the sooner they can be indexed, the sooner they can attract eyeballs.

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would upload 2 a day. The sooner your videos are up, the sooner they can be indexed, the sooner they can attract eyeballs.
And that goes along with what I've heard about it being helpful to have more videos up in general. Honestly, when I'm not using AdWords or something, I don't really get views so I don't see it hurting me at all if I just upload a couple a day. I like recording and streaming so I could easily get a backlog of videos even if I do upload a lot more.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would actually advise you not to do this. And that is because you would kill you own videos.

When you upload a new video, it will be in the spotlight for a while. It's featured on your home page, the algo can take 24 to 48 hours to pick it up and a lot of YT browsers watch the newest upload of a channel first. However, if you upload two videos, even if they are several hours apart, you kill the video you uploaded first. The algo hasn't had time to properly push it, it get's shoved off the spotlight on your home page, etc. I've actually seen a big Youtuber (3M subs) postpone a sceduled upload, because he didn't want to kill the rise of his previous video since it was doing very well (he mentioned this on his vlog channel). So more isn't always better.

mussonman

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
That all depends on the type of content you make, as well as how loyal your fanbase is.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would actually advise you not to do this. And that is because you would kill you own videos.

When you upload a new video, it will be in the spotlight for a while. It's featured on your home page, the algo can take 24 to 48 hours to pick it up and a lot of YT browsers watch the newest upload of a channel first. However, if you upload two videos, even if they are several hours apart, you kill the video you uploaded first. The algo hasn't had time to properly push it, it get's shoved off the spotlight on your home page, etc. I've actually seen a big Youtuber (3M subs) postpone a sceduled upload, because he didn't want to kill the rise of his previous video since it was doing very well (he mentioned this on his vlog channel). So more isn't always better.
That all depends on the type of content you make, as well as how loyal your fanbase is.
Both are valid points, I just have some room to experiment due to my low viewership. It's almost non-existent, so I don't think I'm really hurting much.