Uploading the same video again to keep up with schedule

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I noticed a few channels from time to time upload the same video again with slight (or no so) change to thumbnail. The video itself is exactly the same. In same cases first video generated a lot of views, so it might be an attempt to receive high views again without doing anything. In some cases it seemed to be just an attempt to upload something, to keep up with the schedule. Is it legit or against Youtube rules?

Thanks!

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The system won't let you upload an identical file to the same account, so it has to be changed in some way.
But really shouldn't the question be, what's best for your viewers?

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. In one case the difference is just 1 second, but when you watch it it's exactly the same. I guess many don't care about what's best for the viewers, just want more views and subs...

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
It will be an instant unsub for me if i see something like that, As babyteeth4 has pointed out, what is best for your viewers? Instead, alternatively it can be a compilation of your old vids around a similar topic. Like example a compilation/highlights of all my underwater mech builds. I think that is acceptable instead of just reposting the same exact stuff.

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks chubbybots. I do find compilation acceptable too but in those cases it was exactly the same video, 1 second difference, most likely to trick YT to believe it's a different video. It was kids channel - I guess kids don't care.

Reactions: chubbybots

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
People are lazy. I can understand a re-upload if the original has to be removed / edited and re-uploaded. Usually to remove a piece that is copyright flagged.
But to just re-upload a popular video twice or more with a tiny difference just for extra views is just wrong.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I could see this being a letdown for the subscribers. It would have been better if they could have created some sort of compilation video instead and spliced a bunch of videos together.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That sounds terrible, definitely wouldn't recommend doing that, the people that are subscribed to you would be super disapointed by a NEW video that's... actually an old video
It's better to skip a week or a day rather than come out with subpar content, or as you've said, put out the exact same content on repeat.. doesn't do anything for your brand, your channel or you.. especially not your subs!
Plus, I don't think that's ok with YouTube, They might take them down if they're duplicates

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Have some integrity and upload a different video

DayaVera

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Even if it was legal, I respect my subscribers too much to cheat them like that. They deserve better than that.