Uploading Popular Content without Monetizing to help grow the Channel

DDC

Reaction score
So my question is: Is it okay to take a popular song or movie clip and add it to your Channel, with Monetization turned OFF? Knowing the copyright owner will receive all the revenue from that.

And then add my own original content. In hopes to build the Subscriber base, etc.

Thats what I need to know.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
There is no one set answer.

You'd have to do your research as it's up to whoever owns the rights for whatever song or movie clip you want to use. Some have no problem making a claim and collecting all of the ad money while others strike anything they didn't personally authorize.

You can find the answer to tons of popular music by going to: youtube.com/music_policies

The catch is that, while companies/ people may not mind now, they hold the right to change their mind at any time, for any reason.

Reactions: satiricals and DDC

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Having something popular in your video doesn't guarantee views.

So let's go step by step on your concept. First of all, you got to enter the metadata related to the.... let's say song in this hypothetical.
Having the song by itself won't do anything for ranking you in search engines UNLESS you type up the metadata.

Second of all the market could be capped. Which means no one is going to your video from searching those terms. Maybe a few esoteric searches where they use search filters to only show what was uploaded in the last 24 hours BUT THAT'S IT.
So now you have this video that you spent time on, it isn't monetized and it is most likely showing the popular song in your related videos but not the other way around.

You want to find something that is going viral but is lowkey sort of popular. Something with an active search volume booming but no to low competition for content applicable to those search terms.

ericshift1

Reaction score
Depends on the content if it's music you can look it up on YouTube's music policy page. Otherwise it's a guessing game. Getting too many worldwide blocks can cause your channel to be disabled for monetization.

DDC

Reaction score
I'm thinking more towards Video content and not music

ericshift1

Reaction score
It's really a guessing game, I would not recommend uploading visual content you do not own a license to.