Uploaded HD video quality not improving

Riaan26

Reaction score
Hi, I uploaded a video yesterday to YouTube.

The video is 5 minutes long and is 1GB in size. It is in HD, and the quality is very good.

I've checked the video again this morning on YT, and the quality is terrible. This forum doesn't allow for any links to be posted, so I can't show you the video.

Will the quality improve? Do I need to do something about this?

Thanks so much for your help.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Are you sure you are viewing it in HD and have an internet connection good enough to handling watching in HD?

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

The video is 5 minutes long and is 1GB in size. It is in HD, and the quality is very good.

I've checked the video again this morning on YT, and the quality is terrible. This forum doesn't allow for any links to be posted, so I can't show you the video.

From my experience it is pretty weird. I noticed that changing the bit-rate changes the quality on YouTube. I thought that too high of a bit-rate made it hard for YouTube to process so I tried lower bit rates... This worked on my old computer. Then when I got my new computer, I used max bit rate and HD settings and now my videos all show up good on YouTube almost as if they were the original renders. On my old computer the YT videos would get pixelated. Not exactly sure, but play with your settings. I tested this by making some little 10 second videos in different formats and settings to see what looked the best. I currently use max bit-rate and H.264 MP4 settings and my videos look the same as the original files on YouTube.

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It may just be whatever your using to view the video. Try logging into yttalk on another device to see if the problem consists. Also, you could delete the link and try to enter it again just in case. I doubt it's anything permanent.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian

Double check that the file you uploaded is actually HD if this is the case the contact YouTube support. This happened to my buddy once took almost a week for the issue to be resolved. Only other option I can think of that may be faster is reuploading though this may not fix it either.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I just checked your newest video. It IS streaming in HD, but the original video-quality is poor for the first 2 minutes. You can see a difference at the 2:11 mark where the video (and your progress!) looks much better.
I would recommend a better camera for shooting indoors. and for the love of Glob, tell your camera-person to hold the camera horizontally!