Upgrade/complement a GoPro Hero 7 Black?

kmexplores

Reaction score
I have a hiking/adventure/photography vlog so my primary camera (Canon 5D Mark IV) is plenty good, but I often CAN'T use it because the videos are about photography and my setup, etc... so the camera needs to be there ready to shoot :)

1080p is good on it, but 4K is unusable to me because of the giant file sizes.

I have a Rode VideoMicro that I mount on my gopro. I also have a lav mic, though I haven't used it (yet).

I keep coming across something like the G7x Mark II or the RX 100. Seems like they are marginally heavier than a gopro, obviously not as durable, but open up the world for vlog quality and broll.

I believe neither have a mic jack. Currently don't have an external mic recorder and always hear about the Zoom H1. Is there something lighter/smaller/simpler? Due to size/weight/etc. I do not intend to use a gimbal, would vlogging handheld on one of these cameras still be okay? Are there alternatives I should be looking at?

As much as I don't want a gimbal, perhaps one for something like the RX 100 doesn't need to be all that bulky or heavy?

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
These are two things film making gear is trying to meld together, small size, good quality. we get close but we still have tradeoffs. This might just me being a camera snob but I'd stay away from any point and shoot, the quality will be crap compared to any type of dslr or mirrorless.

Since size is a main issue for you, In my opinion the Panasonic G7 with a Viltrox speedbooster is a great contender, smaller then the 5D but still gives a nice video look, does 1080 at 60, has a mic jack, and flip out screen. downsize, its about 3x larger than a gopro.

IF size is a major issue for you, keep with the gopro, go with the zoom H1 (I use them for wedding mics in jacket pockets.) small, low profile, keeps everything just the right audio.

BTW your channel link is dead, its not taking to the channel at all.

born2sail

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Audio
There are XLR adapters for your phone either digital or analog. I am satisfied with a iRig Pre together with a Rode NTG2. Its not a high end product but for me its ok. Sometimes it's a little hard to get the right amount of gain. But it comes with an App where you can check the audio level.

Camera
I know its somehow a gimbal, but what's about the Osmo Pocket? 4k 60, 1080p 120... I have both, a Hero 7 and the Osmo and I like to work with both. Even the built in micro is not that bad, or in other words better than to miss a shot.