updating thumbnail on popular video

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
ok so here is my question none of my video's are fast growers but my most popular video was uploaded quite a while ago but it consitantly brings in 150+ views every single day day in and day out and has for a very long time. constantly bringing new people into the channel. it ranks well in google search as well as youtube search and also brings in lots of views from suggested video's. it has a pretty poor thumbnail.

2.jpg

some of my more recent thumbnails trying to create some branding and a consistency between my thumbnails so people recognize it as a video from my channel.

here are some of my recent thumbnails.

sddefault (1).jpg sddefault (2).jpg sddefault.jpg

btw I don't know why the black bars top and bottom appeared when I downloaded the thumbnails they are not present on YouTube.

I am scared to change anything about what I would consider a very successful video. however at the same time I feel people are clicking it despite the thumbnail rather than because of it. and if I were to re work my thumbnail a bit in a more current style the new people coming into my channel would more easily recognize my other video's

I think it would be beneficial to update the thumbnail however I am afraid to hurt a good preforming video. what would you do?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Changing the thumb ail won't hurt you now. I've tested on high traffic videos. It does nothing harmful. In fact if you up your click through rate % with a better thumbnail then youtube will likely promote your video more across the network. win win.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If I’m being 100% honest the thumbnails aren’t the best. From up close you can see view words but shrink them down very small and they have very little effect. I think people are clicking on your videos because they have the content they’re looking for and no one else is providing the information. If you follow some thumbnail tips including readable larger text with some sort of element to draw people in you’ll see even more traffic. I think my thumbnails are a perfect example if you want to check my channel out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think the lack of contrast in the colors between the background and the text color on yours makes them hard to read even though the text is much larger also for my content I think having a image from the video in the thumbnail is more beneficial than text in the thumbnail. its more about trying to create a little more consistency between my thumbnails to be more recognizable. my text could certainly stand out a little more I do apricate your input though

but the question was more about is it worth while to update a thumbnail on a video that is doing well or if something is working is it best to leave it alone.[DOUBLEPOST=1537668095,1537667698][/DOUBLEPOST]
Changing the thumb ail won't hurt you now. I've tested on high traffic videos. It does nothing harmful. In fact if you up your click through rate % with a better thumbnail then youtube will likely promote your video more across the network. win win.

thank I'm glad to hear that you have experimented with this and had good results. I may try another video or two that preforms well before I go after my top performer first although my video that does the best I think has one of the worst thumbnails. makes me nervous to think of messing with something that is doing good.

Last edited:

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the lack of contrast in the colors between the background and the text color on yours makes them hard to read even though the text is much larger also for my content I think having a image from the video in the thumbnail is more beneficial than text in the thumbnail. its more about trying to create a little more consistency between my thumbnails to be more recognizable. my text could certainly stand out a little more I do apricate your input though

but the question was more about is it worth while to update a thumbnail on a video that is doing well or if something is working is it best to leave it alone.[DOUBLEPOST=1537668095,1537667698][/DOUBLEPOST]

thank I'm glad to hear that you have experimented with this and had good results. I may try another video or two that preforms well before I go after my top performer first although my video that does the best I think has one of the worst thumbnails. makes me nervous to think of messing with something that is doing good.
Yeah I had stated that people are clicking on the video for the information that you’re providing in the video that is scarce on yt and changing the thumbnail will most likely increase views if you use the tips I mentioned. Just a small change of text that’s more visible and use of certain elements will make the thumbnail stand out a bit more when people go searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I don't think the description and title and thumbnail is the only influencers on your video and how its promoted across youtube. I think the algorithm uses some of those things to begin with but is mostly influenced by how people interact with your video some of which is/was out of your control. For example, what they watch next- is it of similar content -how long did they watch for- what did they do , go? etc You can't influence these factors at this point which are ingrained in how your video is recognised. Changing the thumbnail won't change any of the factors already well established there. It gives you an opportunity to do 2 things. 1. Make the thumbnail better. 2.give it a name the same asthevideotitle.jpg (might help)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
well I updated the thumbnail on my second most popular video as a test ill monitor the anilitics for a few days and see what happens

old how i change breaks on a semi trailer in 6 minutes.jpg
new semi breaks.jpg

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
im not sure that that thumbnail is extra effort. I do like the clean simple image though, wrong type of breaking system for the video though. I am also trying to include a image of myself in my thumbnails as a consistent element between my thumbnails to make my channel more recognizable.

I am certainly by no means a thumbnail expert I actually admit I suck at thumbnails, so I certainly appreciate idea's and pointers for making better thumbnails.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should color and textures to your words and make it bigger