Hot Topic Updated Monetization Terms for YouTube Partner Program

LadyDewinter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just received a very disturbing email from youtube. Apparently they are starting a paid for service that will be ad free. I must say Im not a big fan of this idea unless it offers a few things. 1st off, I dont want to have to pay to use youtube, the day I do, Im gone...period. 2nd if those who pay for ad free service cant watch me unless I too pay for the ad free service, Im gone...thats it. Im not paying for something that I cant afford, and I cant afford 8 bucks month when I only earn about 1k a month (that covers ALL my living expenses) So as you can see I cant afford an ad free service. At current time Im way to small to make any money from youtube so the money to be 'ad free' would have to come out of my retirement check. But I have other questions about this change.

How will ad free benefit the creators? Isnt it the ads that make us who monetize the money? So why would we want it gone? If people arent watching the ads how do we make revenue?

perhaps Im not understanding this...if not please claify.

Last edited:

mercmonster

Asia's Redheaded Step-Child
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
YouTube, at its core, has never been about money. When YouTube first started, people didn't flock to the site to create content with the goal of becoming "YouTube famous" and making tons of money. Some may be discouraged and stop creating content, but the vast majority of creators, including the "big YouTubers", will stay - especially the latter, because they not only have a fanbase to satiate, but more revenue to be made elsewhere through their name. And where the big fish go, the smaller follow.

So no, I don't think this is the end of YouTube at all.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hope I am reading this right but since I don't experience a lot of ad clicks on my channel than this would be beneficial? As in if paid users view my content youtube will pay me for it based on a percentage? It sounds nice to me if I'm understanding it right.
I have done the math. I would earn more per view from a paid subscriber than if they were not.

Keep in mind that not every view is monetized. Views from paid subscribers, and the minutes of watch time that they consumed, would all count towards your share of the revenue from that paid subscriber.

That doesn't mean that you're suddenly going to get rich or start seeing significantly higher earnings. It should be a noticeable increase.

If you're getting 1,000 views a month but people are clicking off within 30 seconds, you aren't generating a significant amount of watch time or consumed minutes.

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have done the math. I would earn more per view from a paid subscriber than if they were not.

Keep in mind that not every view is monetized. Views from paid subscribers, and the minutes of watch time that they consumed, would all count towards your share of the revenue from that paid subscriber.

That doesn't mean that you're suddenly going to get rich or start seeing significantly higher earnings. It should be a noticeable increase.

If you're getting 1,000 views a month but people are clicking off within 30 seconds, you aren't generating a significant amount of watch time or consumed minutes.
That makes a lot of sense. So it would only really benefit me if people stick around in my videos. Challenge accepted to keep them caring!

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You need to go read the terms again. :) Under your creator portal. They provide a solution to creators which offers a payment to us based on paid viewers and the time they spend on our channel. They kept us in mind.

Reactions: ragehobbit

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I noticed that too, and wonder if it will be the norm after the new changes roll out. It probably allows for initial bugs to be worked out... I am used to the way it is now. I wonder if there will be one month without payment, then you will receive money each month, but from two months prior.
I don't have any concrete information but I suspect that Google is going to make the revenue from the paid subscriptions a separate line item since it isn't actually paid through Adsense. If that's the case, we will still get our monthly Adsense earnings (if over $100) and a separate payment from paid subscriptions (if over $100)[DOUBLEPOST=1428530028,1428529958][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am happy to watch the ads personally. It is the least I can do when creators take so much time to create the videos.
I am happy to allow an ad to play. However, since I watch a LOT of videos, I'm happy to pay for a subscription for an ad-free experience and the creator will get credit for the minutes that I watched.[DOUBLEPOST=1428530149][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ya so they're lowering the share to 55/45 and also adding a feature wherein viewers can pay a subscription fee to not have advertisements shown on the videos, which means more money for you!
From what I am reading, it looks like youtube/ google will do a 55 - 45 split now rather than the 60 - 40?
YouTube will pay you 55% of net revenues ! so now how much youtube pay us 60 % ?
I have no idea where you are getting the information that you are currently earning 60/40 from Adsense. It has been 55/45 for many years.

HeatherWells

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I hope I am reading this right but since I don't experience a lot of ad clicks on my channel than this would be beneficial? As in if paid users view my content youtube will pay me for it based on a percentage? It sounds nice to me if I'm understanding it right.
Watch time, and other factors are already part of the equation. The two new things I see, are 1. youtube is rolling out a add-free supscription. So if any of your subscribers pay for that subscription, youtube will get 45% of the fee, and you and the others that the subscribers watch, will get a break down of the other 55% based on the amount of time they watched your content. For example if they are subscribed to 2 channels and watched both channels an equal amount of time, youtube getes 45% and you and the other channel would get 27.5% each

Then it looks like they payment time may be different. It could be 60 days after the end of the month.
This is how my brain works it out. I stopped by to see what others are thinking and seeing how they interpret it.

Last edited:

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I personally have clicked on many an ad if I cared about it. Game related ones and links to channels I'm interested in get me. :)

LadyDewinter

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
YouTube, at its core, has never been about money. When YouTube first started, people didn't flock to the site to create content with the goal of becoming "YouTube famous" and making tons of money. Some may be discouraged and stop creating content, but the vast majority of creators, including the "big YouTubers", will stay - especially the latter, because they not only have a fanbase to satiate, but more revenue to be made elsewhere through their name. And where the big fish go, the smaller follow.

So no, I don't think this is the end of YouTube at all.
But if they do away with ads how do the smaller youtubers make any money to get to be bigger youtubers...see thats what I dont understand, some youtubers are reliant upon the ad revenue...if thats gone...[DOUBLEPOST=1428530460,1428530412][/DOUBLEPOST]
You need to go read the terms again. :) Under your creator portal. They provide a solution to creators which offers a payment to us based on paid viewers and the time they spend on our channel. They kept us in mind.
But dont YOU have to sign up for the paid content yourself? Which means YOUR also paying the 8 bucks a month.