Understanding your Subscriber growth

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Much of how and why you gain subscribers is a mystery, but there are trends and spikes and falls that you can work out why they happened. i will use my graph as an example

This is for my 8 month old gaming channel. i started off playing Football Manager but have since diversified into other games and some random videos (all planned)

• as you can see. i saw pretty good growth from the outset (for a gaming channel) why is that?
i wanted to start a gaming channel. the most populated, flooded genre on Youtube. i needed to find a niche. so i made a grand plan. i found a niche. Football manager, a massively popular game but with a relatively low amount of coverage on youtube (still a ton of channels, but less than say CoD. minecraft etc) so i started gaining subscribers pretty quick for a gaming channel (4/5 a day on average) as soon as i started. It just so happen to be my favourite game (always very important)

A. as you can see on the image, after a few months i got some unusual spikes in growth. what could that be? well this one is easy. i was approached by a larger Football manager youtube channel to make a weekly video for them, which i did for a couple of months. each week i would make a video. and in that video i would suggest the viewers checked out my channel. the average daily at this time went up to 7/8 subs a day

Once the videos for that other channel stopped i continue to get around 7/8 subs a day. mostly natural growth but with an extra sub on average from the previous videos i made for the other channel

As i got into April my average started growing. no weird spikes. so this is just natural growth from my channel being better known. turning up as suggested videos, doing better in the search rankings and my own improvement in making videos

B. Oh Shi* what the **** happened there? my first ever days with negative subs. well this was all planned and i was well prepared for it. you see. all this time i have been making football manager videos. i had mentioned numerous times in my videos that i won't always just do football manager to help soften the blow when others games did appear.

The big day came in may, with the release of Warhammer total war. i game i always planned to make a ton of content for. immediately my subs dropped, people there just for FM where leaving in droves. this is the point where i have seen and spoken to many youtubers who reverse their decision and go back to making just Football manager videos.

I had always promised to continue making football manager videos (its my favourite game after all) so even with the release of all this new stuff. i still continued with my daily football manager videos. i presumed those unsubscribing were effectively dead subscribers. what i mean by that is people who weren't that bothered about my channel and seeing other content was the final straw for them to unsub.

This proved to be true. with the views on my Football Manager lets play still getting the same numbers of views and the still gaining subs from those videos. in all, in that 3 week period i lost over 200 subs but gained well over 500. more importantly. i lost 200 mostly pointless dead subs

C. The Hard work Pays off. in the last couple of weeks i have beaten my highest amount of subs in a day 4 times. the last one being 32. pretty good for a little gaming channel. not only am i gaining subs from the Football Manager content. i am gaining lots from the Warhammer Total War content.

the ultimate goal of course is to gain subscribers that will watch your videos regardless of their content because they are interested in you. i have started to test this by making the odd videos that are totally non game related. i made one about a recent dog walk. one about some funny comments i got on a video. and these have been watched. so far these 2 videos have been watched almost as much as my regular stuff. so i know its working.

to sum up this very long post (apologies) while it is harder to work out normal subscriber growth on a daily basis. with a little bit of work you can understand those spikes (up or down) better and therefore have an easier time replicating them. Also. Understand planning a change to your channel. and not panicking, short term loss for long term gain

hope you enjoyed my little essay. (as you may have guessed i love strategy and statistics. my job is to offer strategy advice to small businesses after all) and it is of some use to some of you, and if you want, show me your spikes and explain how they happened. its an important skill to learn

big thanks to all those at YTTalk that most hugely valuable advice that really helped me understand youtube better

let me know if there are other area's you would like me to talk about

cheers
Loki

Last edited:

DevinLandis

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Congratulations, that's awesome! I hope to one day have a supportive audience like you do. I just started a few weeks ago, so I haven't really had any big spikes in growth yet but I will be sure to use your tips on identifying and describing them to replicate when I do. Thank you for the insight!

Tyhd

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I recently changed my content from videos I would make in 1-2 hours to putting 4-5 hours into them and I've seen my subscriber growth double. It's such a small change but has affected my channel in a huge way.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
glad you guys enjoyed and hot something out of it guys

Pedals & Stuff

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Much of how and why you gain subscribers is a mystery, but there are trends and spikes and falls that you can work out why they happened. i will use my graph as an example

This is for my 8 month old gaming channel. i started off playing Football Manager but have since diversified into other games and some random videos (all planned)

• as you can see. i saw pretty good growth from the outset (for a gaming channel) why is that?
i wanted to start a gaming channel. the most populated, flooded genre on Youtube. i needed to find a niche. so i made a grand plan. i found a niche. Football manager, a massively popular game but with a relatively low amount of coverage on youtube (still a ton of channels, but less than say CoD. minecraft etc) so i started gaining subscribers pretty quick for a gaming channel (4/5 a day on average) as soon as i started. It just so happen to be my favourite game (always very important)

A. as you can see on the image, after a few months i got some unusual spikes in growth. what could that be? well this one is easy. i was approached by a larger Football manager youtube channel to make a weekly video for them, which i did for a couple of months. each week i would make a video. and in that video i would suggest the viewers checked out my channel. the average daily at this time went up to 7/8 subs a day

Once the videos for that other channel stopped i continue to get around 7/8 subs a day. mostly natural growth but with an extra sub on average from the previous videos i made for the other channel

As i got into April my average started growing. no weird spikes. so this is just natural growth from my channel being better known. turning up as suggested videos, doing better in the search rankings and my own improvement in making videos

B. Oh Shi* what the **** happened there? my first ever days with negative subs. well this was all planned and i was well prepared for it. you see. all this time i have been making football manager videos. i had mentioned numerous times in my videos that i won't always just do football manager to help soften the blow when others games did appear.

The big day came in may, with the release of Warhammer total war. i game i always planned to make a ton of content for. immediately my subs dropped, people there just for FM where leaving in droves. this is the point where i have seen and spoken to many youtubers who reverse their decision and go back to making just Football manager videos.

I had always promised to continue making football manager videos (its my favourite game after all) so even with the release of all this new stuff. i still continued with my daily football manager videos. i presumed those unsubscribing were effectively dead subscribers. what i mean by that is people who weren't that bothered about my channel and seeing other content was the final straw for them to unsub.

This proved to be true. with the views on my Football Manager lets play still getting the same numbers of views and the still gaining subs from those videos. in all, in that 3 week period i lost over 200 subs but gained well over 500. more importantly. i lost 200 mostly pointless dead subs

C. The Hard work Pays off. in the last couple of weeks i have beaten my highest amount of subs in a day 4 times. the last one being 32. pretty good for a little gaming channel. not only am i gaining subs from the Football Manager content. i am gaining lots from the Warhammer Total War content.

the ultimate goal of course is to gain subscribers that will watch your videos regardless of their content because they are interested in you. i have started to test this by making the odd videos that are totally non game related. i made one about a recent dog walk. one about some funny comments i got on a video. and these have been watched. so far these 2 videos have been watched almost as much as my regular stuff. so i know its working.

to sum up this very long post (apologies) while it is harder to work out normal subscriber growth on a daily basis. with a little bit of work you can understand those spikes (up or down) better and therefore have an easier time replicating them. Also. Understand planning a change to your channel. and not panicking, short term loss for long term gain

hope you enjoyed my little essay. (as you may have guessed i love strategy and statistics. my job is to offer strategy advice to small businesses after all) and it is of some use to some of you, and if you want, show me your spikes and explain how they happened. its an important skill to learn

big thanks to all those at YTTalk that most hugely valuable advice that really helped me understand youtube better

let me know if there are other area's you would like me to talk about

cheers
Loki
Now that is a good post.
Copycats, observe.

Reactions: Loki Doki

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I guess you play certain to games to gain subs but I am doing that on my gaming channel.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
the most important thing is picking games you love. then narrow those down to maybe a top 3. and search for those on youtube and see which games are most popular

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That was a really interesting read. Thanks for taking the time to share your analysis. One of the things I like about YouTube is trying to figure out how to do better on YouTube by experimenting with my channel. I didn't have a thought out plan beforehand like you and my experiments haven't really impacted anything yet, but I love thinking about all of this stuff. Congratulations on your success!