Unbiased Review of Video Gameplay Video Quality, Commentary Audio, Overall Video Likeability

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello All,

I am looking for an unbiased review of my gaming content video gameplay and commentary for a new first person shooter game called Fortnite.

How is the video quality?
How is the voiseand noise quality in the video?
How appealingis the video thumbnail?
Does the video game gameplay and commentary content keep your attention?
Is the gameplay content appealing?
Is the commentary content funny?
Is the video like-able?

Any review, positive or negative, would be helpful as I try and grow my channel. Thanks in advanced!

Reactions: User_78298

Thesavagescot

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for an unbiased review of my gaming content video gameplay and commentary for a new first person shooter game called Fortnite.

How is the video quality?
How is the voiseand noise quality in the video?
How appealingis the video thumbnail?
Does the video game gameplay and commentary content keep your attention?
Is the gameplay content appealing?
Is the commentary content funny?
Is the video like-able?

Any review, positive or negative, would be helpful as I try and grow my channel. Thanks in advanced!
https://youtu.be/kSYhJPILMS4
Hey BossHogg,

Just had a look at your channel and going to give you a run down of what i thought :) im no expert so take what you want from my review :)

Video Quality is great good job :)
The noise and sounds are good but personally i would drop down the game sounds a little not a lot but just a lottle so that it makes it clear what you are saying in the commentary.
Thumbnail? First off i want to say that its great that you are making custom thumbnails so keep going with that but i feel like there is too much going on in them and that some parts seem a little out of place (i like the banana man dancing and i get what you were going for but it sticks out from the rest) maybe look at what some of the bigger youtubers are doing with thumbnails and then adapt whichever style you like to suit you.
Yes it helps keep attention especially that you are good at the game that will be a big draw for people :) i also think that your videos are a good lenth (not too long but not too short). Personally i would cut out some of the start/loading screen time just to get into the action quicker
I will answer the last 3 all together in that yes to all of the above i like that you are constanly dancing through it haha and that you seem to be really enjoying playing the game which makes it so much better as a viewer :)

I hope that this helped and i will sub to try and keep up to date with how you are getting on with your youtube journey :D

Reactions: BossHogg FGF

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i'll be as honest as i can with anything.

the thumbnail is meh. its not bad its pretty average. but the picture you used it really dark/blue. so its not very eye catchy.

10 seconds in and it sounds like your winging your commentary. which isnt a bad thing. but "winging it" kinda stops working when you sound like your thinking of something to say. because when your thinking of something to say it hurts the flow of the commentary. so just try to work on being more fluid with your commentary and dont be afraid to cut some parts out.

it sounds like your recording this with your headset plugged into your ps4/xbox one. i'd recommend turning down the ingame audio.

i wont watch the whole video. after 3 minutes im going to assume this problem is throughout the video. i dont feel like im getting much of your personality and it kinda just feels like your talking. think of yourself as a salesman and the product is yourself. you want me to watch your videos so you need to sale your self as a person worth watching. so ask yourself. why would someone watch you? what about you is watchable? many reasons funny smart sarcastic good editing etc etc. I dont mean any offense by this but i sort gameplay videos into 2 types of videos. videos you watch for the person and videos you watch for the gameplay and i'd put you in the second category. the more personality you insert into the video the more you move into the first category which gets more views/subs.

maybe im wrong and you are being yourself then you just need to find a more engaging way of presenting it. hopefully this helps

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey BossHogg,

Just had a look at your channel and going to give you a run down of what i thought :) im no expert so take what you want from my review :)

Video Quality is great good job :)
The noise and sounds are good but personally i would drop down the game sounds a little not a lot but just a lottle so that it makes it clear what you are saying in the commentary.
Thumbnail? First off i want to say that its great that you are making custom thumbnails so keep going with that but i feel like there is too much going on in them and that some parts seem a little out of place (i like the banana man dancing and i get what you were going for but it sticks out from the rest) maybe look at what some of the bigger youtubers are doing with thumbnails and then adapt whichever style you like to suit you.
Yes it helps keep attention especially that you are good at the game that will be a big draw for people :) i also think that your videos are a good lenth (not too long but not too short). Personally i would cut out some of the start/loading screen time just to get into the action quicker
I will answer the last 3 all together in that yes to all of the above i like that you are constanly dancing through it haha and that you seem to be really enjoying playing the game which makes it so much better as a viewer :)

I hope that this helped and i will sub to try and keep up to date with how you are getting on with your youtube journey :D
Thank you so much for the review. I don’t know why I am just now seeing this or else I would have responded sooner.

I appreciate the hints at the thumbnail and the audio commentary. Hopefully I can improve on my next videos that I will drop tomorrow. If you’re interested sub me to check them out. And again thanks for the review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i'll be as honest as i can with anything.

the thumbnail is meh. its not bad its pretty average. but the picture you used it really dark/blue. so its not very eye catchy.

10 seconds in and it sounds like your winging your commentary. which isnt a bad thing. but "winging it" kinda stops working when you sound like your thinking of something to say. because when your thinking of something to say it hurts the flow of the commentary. so just try to work on being more fluid with your commentary and dont be afraid to cut some parts out.

it sounds like your recording this with your headset plugged into your ps4/xbox one. i'd recommend turning down the ingame audio.

i wont watch the whole video. after 3 minutes im going to assume this problem is throughout the video. i dont feel like im getting much of your personality and it kinda just feels like your talking. think of yourself as a salesman and the product is yourself. you want me to watch your videos so you need to sale your self as a person worth watching. so ask yourself. why would someone watch you? what about you is watchable? many reasons funny smart sarcastic good editing etc etc. I dont mean any offense by this but i sort gameplay videos into 2 types of videos. videos you watch for the person and videos you watch for the gameplay and i'd put you in the second category. the more personality you insert into the video the more you move into the first category which gets more views/subs.

maybe im wrong and you are being yourself then you just need to find a more engaging way of presenting it. hopefully this helps
Hey hey I like that review a lot lol[emoji51] thank you so much for the honest review!. This gives me plenty to work with to become better.

You picked it up from the beginning, that was a freestyle type of commentary and I am guilty. I will start working on script or stream it for more natural feel.

I will also work on my thumbnail as when you mentioned it being dark I went to look at it again and asked myself why did I over saturate it into blue land and then put some colorful stuff on top of it. Again thank you for the review as you have given me some excellent things to improve on! Thanks and if you want sub to check out my progress as I journey in this online gaming stuff.

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey hey I like that review a lot lol[emoji51] thank you so much for the honest review!. This gives me plenty to work with to become better.

You picked it up from the beginning, that was a freestyle type of commentary and I am guilty. I will start working on script or stream it for more natural feel.

I will also work on my thumbnail as when you mentioned it being dark I went to look at it again and asked myself why did I over saturate it into blue land and then put some colorful stuff on top of it. Again thank you for the review as you have given me some excellent things to improve on! Thanks and if you want sub to check out my progress as I journey in this online gaming stuff.

thanks man glad i could help. and i wouldnt necessarily recommend using a script. depending on the type of video a script could make it alot more cleaner. i would first recommend just playing a few more games (recording but dont upload) and getting used to talking off the top of your head/reacting to stuff. when i started doing unscripted videos i always had to re-record like 4 times because i didnt know what i was doing for most of it and had to collect myself. "your making a funny video be funny". "your talking about something serious get the information out there" and stuff like that

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Only had time to have a very quick glance over your channel but for me the standout thing was Titles and tags (Basically SEO)

For example If I look at your video How to win at fortnite I think it could have been good but you were no where near specific enough. If I check your tags I see that on that video you don't rank for any of them!

I'm no fortnite gamer so can't be hugely specific but given there are hundreds of thousands of fortnite videos i'd be looking to focus on specific element. If your focusing on bush gameplay tips i'd get that into the title & tags to make it as specific as possible, that way someone searching stands a chance of finding your content. Also do longer descriptions, making use of the keywords you use in your title.

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The video and audio quality are fine. I don't care for the thumbnail personally, it's a little too meme-y. You seemed likeable, but I think some of the jokes fell flat. I like the pace that your editing provided, it's not minutes of nothing happening like some channels, or constant spastic jumpcuts like with others.
Thank you for the review and uplifting support! I will definitely work on my jokes for better content.

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Only had time to have a very quick glance over your channel but for me the standout thing was Titles and tags (Basically SEO)

For example If I look at your video How to win at fortnite I think it could have been good but you were no where near specific enough. If I check your tags I see that on that video you don't rank for any of them!

I'm no fortnite gamer so can't be hugely specific but given there are hundreds of thousands of fortnite videos i'd be looking to focus on specific element. If your focusing on bush gameplay tips i'd get that into the title & tags to make it as specific as possible, that way someone searching stands a chance of finding your content. Also do longer descriptions, making use of the keywords you use in your title.
This is some pretty good review content here. How are you able to focus on SEO? Is there a tool or software package I can use to get started or something that will put me in the right direction?

I do feel like my SEO can be better, I just have no idea on where to go to get started.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Loki Doki did quite a good article on SEO on this forum ( http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-seo-titles-descriptions-and-tags-full-guide-with-example.223822/ )

I think it kind of boils down to critically evaluating your title and thinking about how you would search if you were looking to watch fortnite content. For example, 'Chop Em' Down' Sounds great and if you had a large subscriber base would be fine! But since your still growing you need to think who is going to be searching fortnite chop em down? I suspect the answer is no one but 'Fortnite - Minigun, Tactics, Review & Guide - Fortnite Battle Royal Beginners Guide' is much more likely to contain searchable terms (just a crude example haha but you get the idea) :)