Unappealing voice for commentary

Any Tips/advice/suggestions for those who are looking to break into youtube but have an unappealing voice for commentary. Me myself when I'm lost in a game and really enjoying it the commentary just pours out of me, but it's delivered with a very unappealing voice. Yet there are those rare moments where my voice doesn't sound all that bad, it's passable, so I trying to actively focus on my vocals and achieve that level where it sounds good. But all that focus on my voice takes me out of the game and I don't enjoy it all that much and the result is a lack of commentary, as well as poor, uninteresting and repetitive commentary. I become so self-conscious about my voice that I've deleted a lot of hours of recording sessions because they sounded really bad. And me being a perfectionist doesn't help the situation.

Instead of trying to learn ways of improving your "unappealing voice" simply try to become more comfortable with it. If you listen to my videos, I sometimes cringe at how much of a whiny b***h I can be. But i keep them up, because I can't change it, it is simply my voice. (And because I am in fact, a whiny b***h.) You got this, I believe in you!

Everyone is critical of their own voice. It really isn't as bad as you perceive it to be. A better mic will help with quality, but I think if your personality is great, then your voice will be overlooked.

Thanks Brandon, with the plethora of trolls out on the internet it's actually refreshing to here someone you don't know personally motivate you like that. You too Kush Patel, maybe I should just stop thinking too hard about it and just start putting stuff out. I'm sure after a while it'll begin to work out.

I know what you mean. Like myself, I don't have the typical presenter voice that most list channels have and its obvious some people like my voice while others want to kill themselves or even me listening to it (yea they said that in the comments. Note that I said they, it wasn't just one person wanting to die/kill from it) but hey... You can't please everyone and its not that I can change my own voice.

The first video is always the shittiest but you have to start somewhere. The longer you do it, the more things you can improve on, which wont happen if you don't even go over that starting line coz you'd be stuck being bugged by that first thing without moving on.

Anyways, good luck.

I've always thought my voice sounded weird too, but others don't. Maybe we are too hard on ourselves. I tried to view your channel but you don't have any videos up. Good luck to you

Try to train your voice by looking at videos around the web and how to become a better voice actor, since most of this is just actually how you use your voice and how your voice psychologically impacts the listener then it is very good to have studied this a little bit.

I've always thought my voice sounded weird too, but others don't. Maybe we are too hard on ourselves. I tried to view your channel but you don't have any videos up. Good luck to you
Yeah I'm an extreme perfectionist when it comes to my own work so I scrutinize everything from my voice to my video editing. Honestly that's why I don't have anything uploaded yet cuz I either don't have enough interesting footage to make a descent video out of or I just plain and simply don't like my voice in the footage. But' I'm trying to get past that and just put something out, as long is my computer let's me. I need to save my work frequently or my video editing program crashes.

Any Tips/advice/suggestions for those who are looking to break into youtube but have an unappealing voice for commentary. Me myself when I'm lost in a game and really enjoying it the commentary just pours out of me, but it's delivered with a very unappealing voice. Yet there are those rare moments where my voice doesn't sound all that bad, it's passable, so I trying to actively focus on my vocals and achieve that level where it sounds good. But all that focus on my voice takes me out of the game and I don't enjoy it all that much and the result is a lack of commentary, as well as poor, uninteresting and repetitive commentary. I become so self-conscious about my voice that I've deleted a lot of hours of recording sessions because they sounded really bad. And me being a perfectionist doesn't help the situation.

I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses and should focus on that. I've tried doing commentary and I cringe at my own voice. I know what sounds good and what doesn't...you could always experiment with sound voice modification software or work on eqing to make your voice sound better too. There are lots of tutorials of that on youtube.

I'm the same like you, I have trouble with my voice and wondered if it wouldn't appeal, would look up videos and such, but know I can't change it, but then I try to stay positive and think, there's a voice out there for everyone, and i'm sure they will come and like your voice as well so positive thoughts. :)

Back