Twitter vs. Instagram

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've noticed a weird trend when it comes to engagement when it comes to these two. I do a gaming channel and when I started using both platforms, Twitter seemed like the most logical choice. I put a lot of effort into growing Twitter, and Instagram was well more of an afterthought. I think the ability to see the number of tweets is gone, but I know it is in the thousands. Compare that to the 31 I have done on Instagram. I currently have over 2900 followers on Twitter, and only 290 on Instagram.

Despite the heavily lopsided effort in Twitter's favor, I can do the exact same post on both platforms and have totally opposite results. I just did one the other day, and it got 16 likes on Instagram. On Twitter, it is ZERO. I started noticing this about a month ago, and the results are the same... far more engagement from Instagram with very little from Twitter. Even posts that I have paid to promote on Twitter *might* reach the same amount of engagement I have with no promotion (and little activity) on Instagram.

This doesn't make sense and raises many questions. Have I been using the wrong platform even though all the data showed I should be focusing on Twitter? If I have 10 times as many followers on Twitter, why is the engagement WAY lower? Also, why is the retention so much higher on Instagram? The 290 followers has stayed pretty much the same, yet the 2900 on Twitter has dropped from nearly 3500 (and still dropping).

I hope someone can give some clarity to this, because I feel that a lot of my effort has been wasted on the wrong platform. As it stands now, I believe it is pretty clear that my focus needs to swap.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don´t use twitter or insta but everyone I talked to says that twitter ALWAYS work bes with YT videos, but again I don´t know :)

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don´t use twitter or insta but everyone I talked to says that twitter ALWAYS work bes with YT videos, but again I don´t know :)
The problem I have with Instagram is that you can't put links in your posts, as you can with Twitter. You have to tell them to check it out in your bio.

The good thing about Instagram, however, is that you can set it to where it will automatically post to Twitter and Facebook, so I figured why not?

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
i saw you had wanted to move to twitch long time ago, now you changed your mind?

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I never cared much for twitter or IG. But I post on IG because it will automatically post on twitter and FB for me. I get some engagement on IG, nothing on twitter, and lots of engagement on FB. So I am made a page on Facebook for my YT channel and use it a lot. It works better for my target demographic (mostly other old people ha ha)

Carlos X

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The problem I have with Instagram is that you can't put links in your posts, as you can with Twitter. You have to tell them to check it out in your bio.
I agree, I don't like that about IG. Twitter is a good platform, but there are some bad apples in there. I like both. I find it's harder to promote on Twitter, than it is on IG. Honestly, people are nicer on IG. You can even find dates on IG, too. :)