Tweaking my recording quality

gro_om

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to do a voiceover for an instructionals Yoga practise video, using the Rode smartLav+.

I attached a sample --> actually the forum doesn't allow me to upload audio files, nor link to google Drive or similar...any ideas, how I can share the file with you?

I find the voice too rough. From you experience, do you think this is caused by the voice or by the quality of the microphone?

Also, is the Audio editing software, which I can use to make the voice more pleasant?
(recommendations welcome! : )

Thanks for the help!

Best wishes,
Hans[DOUBLEPOST=1484493567,1484483761][/DOUBLEPOST]edit: with a space it works, hope that's ok:
drive .google .com /open?id=0B3BnuD-eRHAoRXY2bjduVkdvWDg

SnowAspire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
A lot of the problems causing bad quality are often the room you are using and it's acoustics and also the microphone.

A good Audio software (or DAW - Digital Audio Workstation) can definitely improve the quality of your audio. Things like equalizers, compressors, etc. can really take your commentary/voice-overs to a higher level. However, you can only doctor an audio track so much.

I personally use a C1 condenser mic from Studio Projects, but even options as cheap as the Blue Snowball can do a great job. Microphones are an important part, but I've even heard people use their iPhones and still get great quality with editing.

For the room, you may want to look into acoustic treatment. Every room has a different reverb type to it. The sound bounces off of everything in the area. There are great DIY videos on building acoustic panels for relatively cheap that you could benefit from. Or you could take the more costly route and buy a sound treatment package from places like Zzounds, Musicians Friend, or Sweetwater. You ca also use foam mattress toppers with an egg-crate pattern on the top to kill the reverb of a room. You can always add the reverb you like through your audio editing software.

I am speaking from my experience in music recording which is not at all different from voice overs or commentary. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! I'll do my best to answer.

gro_om

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

As of now, I'd like to stick to my Rode smartLav+, and see, whether the software can bring me t a satisfying result. Can recomment any easy-to-use (free)ware?

SnowAspire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Freeware can be searched on google. The ones I know of are Krystal, Audacity, and possibly Reaper. A lot of higher-end software has LE and SE packages that are sometimes free. If you use a Mac, Garageband should come on it preloaded. It is a very good freeware for Apple. (You have to buy it if it's not preloaded)