TubeBuddy tag ranking results

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This goes along with my last topic about tags, but I wanted to keep them separate since they are separate discussions. :)

So I recently installed TubeBuddy and so far love it, however when in the process of retagging my video's with other suggestions or higher ranked terms (where it shows my search results is in the top 20). I was thinking about this after doing a few videos and realized maybe ranking higher might not be the best thing.

Here's why:
If we are changing our tags to show all/most of our tags which all show up in the top 20ish (according to TubeBuddy), maybe we don't have the best phrases for our tags/video and we are instead ranking high for something not searched often. Also since one video is already getting good views as a suggested video, I assume the tags are already working and maybe i shouldn't change it to try and double-dip to get high views from the search and end up shooting myself in the foot!

P.S. Does anyone know if/when/how often YT will go back and "refresh" the search results of an old video once you change the description and/or tags? I would like to think it would show up immediately as "new" or something similar but of course it won't get that much priority...just wondering a little more about this process?

Lots of questions i know...who's up for these challenging questions? :-p

-Mike

theResidentPsychopath

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
rewards.webtalk.co
Channel Type
Gamer
The tag tool has shown me single words or weird phrases that I never would use in my tags. I am not going for generalities hoping for a random view based on a single word. People in my case are looking for video gameplay or let's play videos, so I use keywords and phrases relevant to that along with the name of the video game. I also use mission names, and areas in the game. The tag tool has been pretty useless to me for suggestions.

Please Don't Turn Around

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The one thing most big you tubers say is to NEVER re-tag your videos or change your title or description once it's been released. I've experimented with that myself and found it to be 100% correct (thumbnails however can be changed)

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The one thing most big you tubers say is to NEVER re-tag your videos or change your title or description once it's been released. I've experimented with that myself and found it to be 100% correct (thumbnails however can be changed)
Sadly I agree with this completely. This will almost break the video in ranking ability. The moment you post a video it immediately starts gaining positive stats and momentum towards search ability. The moment you change the tags you basically reset the momentum to 0 losing all the progress it once had.

The first 48 hours of a video upload is crucial and once you reset that progress tracker your video is squashed (unless you have evergreen content).

I have notified a few people of errors in their descriptions and their reply was they’d rather let the video trend with the current error than to reset their stats by correcting the description. I had to find this out the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jealous Lawn Care

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmmm, surprisingly I've been retagging and redoing descriptions to all of my prior 50+ video's and tracked the daily views before and after but never seen any bad results. From my analysis everything has been on the positive side since changing everything. I've spent the past several months doing this every night...

Reactions: MedTerms

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hmmm, surprisingly I've been retagging and redoing descriptions to all of my prior 50+ video's and tracked the daily views before and after but never seen any bad results. From my analysis everything has been on the positive side since changing everything. I've spent the past several months doing this every night...
I agree. I've been using TubeBuddy's tag tools as well, and haven't seen any bad results. Initially, I went with many of the suggested tags, but the same observation you made earlier, also occurred to me - no point in a tag that ranks high if nobody's searching for it. Now I try to focus on more on tags with greater search volume.

My titles and descriptions have been revised multiple times. I'd never heard they shouldn't be. Doesn't really matter, because the video topics are closely related and older videos will always get some traffic from newer videos that rank higher.